Rio Salt mixing funny?

Reaction score
Hi All
On WednesdayI mixed up 150l of Rio salt in RO water with a TDS of 3 and 2 of the 50l mixing tubs were not 100% clear a bit cloudy. I decided that it would be too much of a risk to use in my tank so I used to clean and do a water change on the rock's that I'm cooking.

Today I mixed up 100l of Rio salt with the same water and again they have mixed up cloudy. It's a bit odd as what I did was put in the 50l RO and added the 1.8kg's of salt and moved a power head around to make sure the salt was all mixed in then I went to golf and came back to cloudy water. It's dirrerent bags of salt and I cleaned the tubs out with fresh water before I used them...

Any ideas what could be wrong? Do you think it's too much of a risk to use?
Thanks for the help...

have you left it to see if it clears, or have you made sure that the lid is sealed tight to prevent moisture getting in to the container?

I only opened the bag today...It normally mixes clear in about 10 mins and it's been going for 6 hours...??

If it is a brand new bag i would run it straight back to the shop with a container of water to show them

The shop is 200km away and I used 3kg's out of the 6kg bag... it's odd though because the last bag also did it..

You recon it's not safe to use? I have more salt but it's just such a waste?

Test it for everything you can, then you could just run it though some polyfilter to clear it up if it is good.

try take a picture and email it to the supplier, i also had a problem awhile back but no longer do

Salt mixing for 6 hours...

salt2.jpg

Salt mixing for 15 mins...

salt1.jpg

The salt in pic 2 is the same brand just a new bucket. I think it's fair to assume that the last box I opened has a problem. I find it odd that no one else has this problem as it can not be just my box....? Just checked the last bag in the box and all is sealed 100% the 1/2 a bag I have that is open does not look different in any way...

Anyways no harm as I did not add any to my tank just a bit of a waste....

I haven't bought any RIO salt for a couple of months so can't help you there.

Are you sure there is nothing that could have got into the drums to contaminate the water? Did the maid clean them maybe?

I haven't bought any RIO salt for a couple of months so can't help you there.

Are you sure there is nothing that could have got into the drums to contaminate the water? Did the maid clean them maybe?

Hi Dean

No this is the 4th tub that has mixed like this, The maid does not go near the fish stuff, it's all in the garage and it has been biught for mixing salt...never used for anything else. The one that has mixed 100% was emptied and rinced out 10 mins before with a dud batch...

Seems to be just 1 box...

I have also had this occurence; but not with Rio. I have never raised the problem here, or elsewhere, and assumed it had something to do with extra buffering. I would like to follow this thread and see if anyone else has experienced similar.

Sims even though this has happened more than once with me i have never witnessed any ill effects. Keen to read other rerplies

Back
Top Bottom