Rimless vs eurobraced

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by jacqolive, 28 May 2013.

1. jacqolive

jacqolive

I need some help regarding making this decision, I am aware of the cost differences due to using thicker glass on the rimless tank. I am also aware of the issues that some people face with rimless tanks like water spilling out when cleaning the tank, snails walking out the thank and so forth.

What I really need advise on is the long term safety and structural reliability between the two tanks. The tank will be 240 x 120 x 70. If it was a smaller tank I would not be so worried about this but due to the size I have some concerns going rimless.

What do you guys think?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. eibli

eibli

This size aquarium will have to be built with 12mm glass and euro bracing. Rimmless will have to be 15 mm glass. This is going to make a huge difference in pricing. I will rather go with euro bracing for the long term safety.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

even euro braced, that will be a lot of bracing.

but would still be cheaper. Rimless you are looking at very thick glass.

5. jacqolive

jacqolive Thread Starter

If rimless the long sides will be 30mm and the short sides 24mm. If euro bracing the tank I will most likely still go with minimum 16mm or maybe 20mm glass.

My concern is not really the glass as that can be overcome by making it thicker, my concern is more on the silicone joints for such a large amount of water.

6. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

silicone is amazingly strong. you will be surprised how strong silicone actually is. in fact don't even worry about that just concentrate on the glass thickness you wanna go for and the type of brace you want.

20mm glass will be very expensive. and its not even necessary for that size tank.

7. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

also 20mm glass will be almost double the price of 12mm per square meter. so if it cost you about 15000.00 to build your tank with 12mm glass by a professional it will cost you probably around 25-30 thousand for the 20mm one. that's a huge difference in price

8. jacqolive

jacqolive Thread Starter

As noted above the rimless will be even thicker glass. I am aware of the cost but my budget was done on a rimless tank built by idol so going euro brace will only save me money regardless if its 16mm or 20mm. I really want rimless but I am just concerned about going rimless on a tank this size, my comment above regarding the silicone is aimed at the rimless tank, I'm not concerned about it holding up on a euro braced tank.

9. JAJA

JAJA

In my experience there are only three reasons to opt for euro bracing over rimless, or not choosing rimless, in marine tanks.

1. To save costs.
    2. Where going rimless is not warranted, i.e. where the tank is going to have a cover or is going to be enclosed in a cabinet.
    3. Where you intend to stock fish that jump or may escape, wrasses, eels, etc. in this case you need to include a cover of some type which would spoil the rimless look.

If none of these apply to you then definitely go rimless, especially if you plan on a peninsula type tank.

The structural issue is not something that should affect your decision, especially if someone like idol is making your tank.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Rimless looks good, especially if you got no wires running of the top into the tank. So power cords for internal pumps needs to be in consideration from right at the start.

As mentioned, if you will have a canopy, then why go rimless?

Even with all the bracing in place, the tank will weigh less than a rimless tank.

Euro braced and the water level can be closer to the top edge. Rimless and you get a lot of water marks outside easily.

Lastly, you do limit yourself with a lot of fish choices going rimless.

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

SS wire bracing. No glass to obstruct LED lighting.

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Do you have any pictures of tanks with SS wire bracing, especially local tanks?

13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Will get some pic's for you of local tanks.

This is the idea.

[​IMG]

14. jacqolive

jacqolive Thread Starter

There will be no wires as I will be using vortech and they will all be placed on one side of the tank that is against the wall.

It will be a open top tank regardless of rimless or euro bracing.

My desired fish list does not include jumpers besides maybe cleaner and six line wrasse.

Majority of the fish are chromis, anthias and tangs with some dwarf angels, and butterfly fish.

Recent Posts