Rimless Pro's and Con's.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by RiaanP, 4 Aug 2010.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Rimless tanks are the fashion item. I must admit, they do look better, especially in setups without canopies.

But are they better? In terms of glass cost, light setup options and even livestock options...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

definatley gives a more professional finish, and i have a habit of putting fish food etc etc on my braces so rimless would be to my advantage.. cost wise id go thicker than usual where the glass is concerned..

but the extra light you would get would be marginal..

4. neo

neo

seems riaan is a bit bored with all these Q&A threads of him lately:whistling:

I like the look of rimless with starfire glass and a hanging light unit, but that's about it, don't think there is any other reason to go rimless.

5. vatso

vatso

Fish jump out rimless tanks more so then tanks with rims! Also Rims are great place to put stuff

my next tank will be rimless

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

The idea is to take a topic, and only discuss that. Let people think about something specifically for a change. And not have the discussion lost inside a members build thread.

I do agree

Yip, that is why it is called a brace and not a shelf. But I'm guilty as well...

Yip, they tend to hit the brace. If you are lucky. But I do know that snails do climb out of rimless tanks a lot more than with euro bracing all around. With euro, they continue until upside down out of the water, and them seems to be happy and stop.

On the light setup, DIY crappy but it work light ( I made it and I'm proud) units can be hidden inside the canopy. With Rimless, lights units are open and mostly are suspended from the ceiling. So they are part of the display (show off).

7. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Pros:

IT LOOKS BLOODY AWESOME

Cons:
    IT is Much Much more expensive when u make bigger tanks

8. neo

neo

with RL open top you should have a good looking thin overflow as well.

9. RiaanP

And the return line must be build in, hidden, and effective without hole drilled for syphon break. No hook over the top flexible hose return lines.

And no internal circulation pumps can be used (or should be used) as the wires hanging over the sides looks crap. Especially tanks that is visible from 3 sides. Good candidate tanks for CLS setups.

10. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

This is what i love about my tank, although it is euro braced, but there is no wires going into the tank

11. Jacojs

Jacojs

Would it be stupid to build a rimless, have hanging lights and still have a canopy(preventing fish and snail escapes)?

Jaco.

12. leslie hempel

not necessarily but it would defeat the object of rimless, i think the rimless is to give the illusion of a seeminly simple setup no matter how complicated the contents are..
    dare i say it makes the setup almost seem as simple as a goldfish bowl..

simple yet stylish..

13. Ross

Ross

Rimless Starfire is the only way to go. I love mine.
    Glass is massivly expensive but again worth it.

I would say a con (but it is my OCD) is whenever you do stuff in the tank, you get that one stupid little drip down the front of the glass and you have to get out the warm water and wash the glass again :)

Agreed overflow must be thin, and returns built in. Vorthec also suit this with no cables.

Oh yeah, at water level you get a salt / calcium line you need to scrape when you do your glass cleaning.

14. Adee

Adee

Well I'm currently running both a braced and a rimless setup. The best part of my rimless is the overhead viewing option.

Rimless must be run with a hanging pendant (would not make sense to have it fitted into some cabintery) It also allows for all that heat from your MH's to escape and one can run a normal household fan far off to provide a breeze over the top. Need to be done properly otherwise will "pop". if u plan to install a wavebox...may only have a few cm to play with (with the wave)...then again u have no center bracing, so one would have to be careful how you rock the water in the tank. If done nicely gives a nice clean uncluttered and simplistic look to the tank. more expensive tank to build, especially in starfire....skinny overflow a "must have". As I said, has the added dimension of being viewable from the top...thus better suited to be mounted lower than normal.

Braced tanks...my center brace casts a very noticeable shadow in the middle..less prone to "pop" if done right. Higher rim allows for more play when using that wave box. If open to view from top...does not give the clean uncluttered look as the center brace will have salt creep on it. Cheaper tank to build.

15. leslie hempel

good input there guys...

16. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Bump, any change in views close to 5 years down the line...

Last edited: 12 May 2015
  17. RaveMan

RaveMan

I guess there's clear 2 camps with rimless

I own the rimless version (second setup) and will return to bracing/canopy first chance I get

I've lost 4 beautiful fish that jumped out the top at night - one of them a red dragonet that had just started eating dry food. And almost every turbo snail that went straight up and back down/out over the edge - never to be found with only a distinct trail as evidence!

If this hobby is underpinned by us providing the best possible (uncompromising safe healthy setup) then Rimless can only be justified if you care more about "furniture" than the habitants

But I guess the middle ground would be to be disciplined about limiting yourself to "non- easily spooked/Jumping fish)
    I've been told that ALL fish jump - but so far the 2 clowns that waddle about have been with me from the start so I guess they work with RL setup

I've been advised that at night fish get spooked by possible hitch hiker and hit the glass and keep moving up and in the absence of some bracing....... Brace yourself for dried fish on The floor

RL is too heartbreaking

18. RiaanP

I had clowns that jumped... And they were the only fish in that tank, with nothing that could bother them at night.

Any intertidal snail will climb out of the rimless tank a lot easier than a braced tank. No guarantee that braces will keep them in, but it does help a bit.

19. mytank

mytank

My experiance:

I had to go with 33mm starfire glass which was horrifically expensive for a long run. Is it worth it:

Well if you have the budget YES absolutely.

Do you have issues:
    Yes like with everything in life you going to get the pros and the cons and not everyone is going to agree with it.

You have a higher chance of having critters jumping, crawling etc out the tank that's a given but that is not something you cant get past : Nice cover

To be honest rimless has two main advantages for me:
    1. Aesthetics - you just cant beat it
    2. O2 to H20 exchange the surface area is open and accessible

The disadvantages (if not taken care of):
    1. Critter suicide
    2. Toxins can enter the water column easier
    3. Cost

However if cost is an issue for you then you really shouldn't be getting into this hobby:tt2::tt2::tt2::tt2::tt2::tt2::tt2::tt2::tt2::tt2:

20. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

You having water quality issues Riaan?

21. RiaanP

No. Same water as my display. In the remote frag tank that is connected to the display.
    Even with eggcrate, it did not help. The clowns were small enough to jump through the eggcrate. And this did not happen only once. Lost 2 pairs of clowns like this. No more fish in the frag system at all. Not risking it anymore.

Same happen to a fire Goby which is a known jumper. And I made 100% sure that for the fire goby the quarantine was covered. Did not help.

Recent Posts