right in the beginning

Discussion in 'New Members' started by emteey, 19 Jul 2009.

1. emteey

emteey

Hi everyone,

I joined MASA a few days ago, this is my first post!!

I am really keen to start a marine reef aquarium although I have absolutely NO experiance. I have just started doing some research on this fantastic hobby and it does seem overwhelming at times.

I am currently readin' a book called "The reef Aquarium" by Phil Hunt.
    Does anyone have any other helpful reading material for beginners?

I am not 100% certain what I want out of my tank but I would like to keep a range of corals with a few "necessary" fish & other invertabrates (shrimps, crabs). I would also like to try and incorporate a refugium in my sump, along with the skimmer and other equipment.

I have an idea of the size tank I would like to start off with: +- 100(l)x60(b)x70(h). This should be a tank with a volume of around 420l.

What size sump should I have if I want to have a refugium?

How do I work out what size pumps I need for (1) returning the water to the tank form the sumo and (2) for water circulation in the tank?

Lookin' forward to posting more as I learn more about this hobby.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kavir

Kavir

Welcome to Masa emteey. Well u come to the right place. All i can say is read up as much as u can, and in a few months u'l be staring for hours at ur aquarium...
    Remember ''patience'' is the key.

4. emteey

emteey Thread Starter

Thanks Kavir, I will make sure that I do not rush into anythiing too quickly without having done a fair bit of research. The last thing I'd want to do is waste time & $$$ by making the wrong desicions on setup, equipment and tank contents. Also don't want to take on more than I can handle, that is why I am looking at starting small.

5. Kavir

Kavir

Well u probably gona have +/-500L wit ur sump and refugium. Generally ppl prefer moving abt 30 to 50 times their tank volume, ie; 500l tank -> 500 x 30 or 50 =15000l / 25000l. So u could have a 2000l return pump + 2x 6000l power head + 1x 3000l power head.
    I do stand to be corrected But wait till more info comes in from others

6. emteey

emteey Thread Starter

Thanks, that is a start. I have some sort of direction now.
    I'l wait ti see what other info I get on the forum. Cheers.

7. schaun

schaun

Hi man! Greater to have you.
    Don’t know much about the sump size. But what I can tell you is that you are going to love this hobby.
    Take your time, never rush things. Only bad things will happen fast the rest take patients.
    Good luck and a warm welcome to MASSA
    :)

8. mnd123

mnd123

9. Travis1

Travis1 (wilsontravy)

:welcometomasa2: to masa. hope you enjoy ur stay with us. happy posting

10. Tony

Tony

Welcome to MASA. Just ask anything that's on your mind

11. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

:welcometomasa2:
    TO MASA EMTEEY!!!
    Please be patient and ask as much as you can.
    Before you start be sure you know what you want.
    I'm from Bloem to if you want I can pm you my tel and you can come and have a look at my setup to help you.

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Emteey! Great to have you on-board! It is also absolutely great that you have decided to do a LOT of "homework" and research, BEFORE you start up.

Kavir is quite correct, for now, w.r.t the in-tank water flow. Also - the return pump sizing is also quite spot on.

Remember - you want quite a lot and very turbulent water flow inside your display tank, but not so much water flow through your sump. As you sump is where MOST of your tank's filtration will be taking place - so, you want the water to flow slow enough through this area, that the filtration systems can thoroughly do their work.

The URL link that MND gave you, is also a prefect starting point. I would also want to suggest that you have a look around our "New Members" threads, as well as "Members tanks and setups" threads - and try and identify what you want your tank to look like.

W.r.t lighting and skimmer - have you thought about what you want to use? The best options for a reeftank, (w.r.t lighting) is either a big number of T5 fluorescents, or a metal halide and T5 combo unit.... Or alternatively, you can DIY your lighting as well.

W.r.t to a skimmer, investigate a ReefTek TS2 or perhaps a ReefOcto Xtreme-100 or 150...
    These should be able to provide you with the best skimming power, that you can even keep SPS corals in the end, when you ready for it....

13. emteey

emteey Thread Starter

Thanks The Animal, that I would be great.

14. emteey

emteey Thread Starter

Hey there jacquesb,

I think I will try and go for MH lighting with a few T5 & actinic (budget permitting) otherwise I will have to go for a powerful Fluorescent combo. But I think the MH will prove a better option.

Thanks for the skimmer info.

15. jacquesb

16. emteey

emteey Thread Starter

Does anyone know where I can start looking for equipment in BFN?

I don't mind buying on line too, but I would prefer to see the actual product before purchasing it. I have found one (very very sad) establishment in BFN claiming to sell marine goodies, I was very dissapointed to see 95% empty tanks (the other two fish labeled as SOLD) and absolutely NO equipment.

This does seem like quite a difficult hobby to get going in BFN, looks like I'm going to have to do a few JHB trips to get my setup going.

17. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

18. emteey

emteey Thread Starter

Thanks Jaak!

It does feel strange reading all the new members posts explaining their tank setup and all, as I have NOTHING at the mo, just ideas!

19. emteey

emteey Thread Starter

How do I upload diagrams for my setup ideas?? Do I have to create them with a particular program? Sorry not too good witht his type of stuff, in fact this is the FIRST forum I am on!!!!!!

20. jacquesb

Hi Emteey - w.r.t where to get hardware - ask ReefManiac, as well as Renannchen - as they are both from Bloemfontein.

To create diagrams, use the freeware application: Google SketchUp - you can download this from Google's web-site.

To upload the diagrams (in JPG or PNG format) - click on the "Quick Upload" URL link, which is immediately below the "Quick Reply" window....

Just look at the sizing restrictions, and then browse your local PC's hard-drive for the files. When you finished, click on "OK", and then on "Host it".....

21. christiaan

christiaan

:welcometomasa2::welcometomasa2::welcometomasa2::welcometomasa2:

Recent Posts