Ridiculous Coral Prices

Dre

Reaction score
Hi MASA members. I have been in this hobby for a few years but unfortunately had to shut my tanks down when I moved last year.

I’m busy setting my tanks up again and to be honest I’m so disappointed to see what people are selling Frags for on this forum. There are guys here who offered me the exact same Frags last year for a fraction of the price they are asking for now.

I know that the price of corals have gone through the roof and it’s understandable due to the current circumstances but I have always felt that we should be helping each other on this forum.

Anyone who has bought Frags from me will know that I would give extra Frags for free to members and the prices were as low as R50 for an Acro around 5-10cm. I would give more challenging Frags to new reefers for free to give them the opportunity to try something different.

I did that to help new reefers in our community to get the courage to try more challenging corals and to grow in the hobby. That’s what a community is about.

People seem to think that they run a store and have over heads to pay and have taken full advantage of the current price increase and it is really disappointing to see.

At the current prices it is way too expensive to buy corals so I can imagine the fear that new reefers have to even attempt a challenging coral.

There have been many reefers on this forum who have given me the opportunity to grow in this hobby such as Red Pepper and that is why I pass on the good deed to my fellow reefers. I hope that more of us will become like this and have Frag swop meets and will help other reefers to grow and not take advantage of a pandemic to make as much money as we can off each other.

Reaction score
Hi MASA members. I have been in this hobby for a few years but unfortunately had to shut my tanks down when I moved last year.

I’m busy setting my tanks up again and to be honest I’m so disappointed to see what people are selling Frags for on this forum. There are guys here who offered me the exact same Frags last year for a fraction of the price they are asking for now.

I know that the price of corals have gone through the roof and it’s understandable due to the current circumstances but I have always felt that we should be helping each other on this forum.

Anyone who has bought Frags from me will know that I would give extra Frags for free to members and the prices were as low as R50 for an Acro around 5-10cm. I would give more challenging Frags to new reefers for free to give them the opportunity to try something different.

I did that to help new reefers in our community to get the courage to try more challenging corals and to grow in the hobby. That’s what a community is about.

People seem to think that they run a store and have over heads to pay and have taken full advantage of the current price increase and it is really disappointing to see.

At the current prices it is way too expensive to buy corals so I can imagine the fear that new reefers have to even attempt a challenging coral.

There have been many reefers on this forum who have given me the opportunity to grow in this hobby such as Red Pepper and that is why I pass on the good deed to my fellow reefers. I hope that more of us will become like this and have Frag swop meets and will help other reefers to grow and not take advantage of a pandemic to make as much money as we can off each other.
Hit the nail on the head I absolutely agree vote on guys let's help eachother here GREED BREEDS GREED

Reaction score
Ive been in the hobby for 3 years and im TERRIFIED to even try a zoanthid. I tried a zoa once and it opened for a few days and then closed and never opened again so im TERRIFIED!

Reaction score
The problem is that people are still buying even though prices are so high, not saying that they shouldn’t buy, it’s there money and the can decide how much to wish to spend on coral. And because the demand is still so at current prices, sellers won’t think twice as to drop their price, heck some may even Inflate their prices even more.

Dre

Reaction score
Ive been in the hobby for 3 years and im TERRIFIED to even try a zoanthid. I tried a zoa once and it opened for a few days and then closed and never opened again so im TERRIFIED!
Zoas grow like weeds in my tanks. Once I have set my tanks up and have some Frags I’ll give you some to try.

459b

Reaction score
Another factor is the naming of corals. You used to buy based on the species name, now it's all about which fancy made up name the coral has. I remember when you could buy frags of green zoas, now they sold per polyp with stupid made up names.
I understand why shops do it, but corals colour will vary in different tanks and under different lighting. There is no need to give any slight hue change a new name.

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
It is becoming a little expensive as there are way more fancy names given to corals than I seem to recall from 10 years ago. I agree it is a bit out of hand, but just to play devil’s advocate, I think Covid-19 has impacted a lot of reefers too, so there are lots of my guys feeling the pinch trying to pay for the hobby by selling frags of what they have. The expensive prices might be a different story, but it is supply and demand, if no-one bought at those prices, no-one will sell at those prices I suppose. Not saying the prices are not ridiculous sometimes.

Reaction score
I've only been in the hobby a few years now and what boggles my mind is the size of some frags. On pics they get so zoomed in and it does look gorgeous, until you see the actual size...then it's like, I'll let you know and run. I don't know what frags looked like 10+years ago, but damn nowadays you get super tiny frags. I guess everybody (the get rich quickly ones) wants to make as much money possible with selling less (smaller) coral. Then again you get the guys who will help other reefers like @Dre mentioned. I know many of these, and strangely they are mostly businesses whos got overheads to pay. Kudos to them!!

Top Bottom