Ricordia Yuma

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Marlin Fischer, 18 Jan 2010.

1. Marlin Fischer

Marlin Fischer Mutantfish

Anyone had experience propagating these and getting them 2 thrive?

I have had some reasonable success with floridas and other various strains however some of the yumas keep letting me down.

Basics i do understand is requirements such as med lighting, moderate to slowish flow and occasional target feeding.

Are there any secrets to growing these and anyone that has had success, can u pls specify your water parameters.

shot!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Marlin Fischer

Marlin Fischer Thread Starter Mutantfish

Anyone?

4. Manic

Manic Moderator

I have had success but not with aggressive techniques such as cutting in half or using an elastic band. I've only had success by putting the coral in an unfavorable position within the tank. Either to much flow or not enough light. This causes the coral to move and when it moves it usually leaves little baby mushrooms behind...

5. Marlin Fischer

My ricordia florida and my other mushrooms seem to be splitting and there have been occasions where a piece of one of them (as in a corner of one) has even been sliced off and it grew a new mouth and has now form a new shroom.
    HOWEVER, the ricordia yumas seem to have done well in the first few weeks and then slowly slimey bits start coming off them and some have eventually disapated to nothing???
    Would love to know howcome, parameter or feeding wise, the yumas struggle and the rest thrive. How do their requirements differ? The only yuma that seems to be thriving in my tank is the blueish green variety and the purple variety. I aquired 2 redish ones and one beautiful one that had bright orange bubbles and a blue/green base but these seem to be withering???

6. Manic

Manic Moderator

The ones I have are the orange ones with a blue base and sorta green mouth. It has grown rather big now. About 6cm across and has two babies next to it, about the size of a five rand coin now. It was under metal halides and it really wasn't doing well. Now it is in my boyu TL-550 and it is thriving. I think it has to do with nutrients though as my nano has some nitrates where as the tank with metal halides has 0 nitrates...

7. Marlin Fischer

You could be on to something there.

The mushrooms in my last tank with more nutrients and a higher nitrate level actually thrived! The Rics i had in my sump on my DSB were also doing pretty well!

But my main display seems less promising, however its parameters are actually more favourable than the prior mentioned?

It may just be coincidence? not sure?

8. Marlin Fischer

Manic, Do you ave any pics of the Rics you mentioned?

Would love to see.

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Marlin - PM GawieDJ (he is currently busy moving - so it might be a while before he answers). He has succesfully fragged ricordia yuma mushrooms.

10. Marlin Fischer

Thanks Jaque!

11. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

yip gawiedj and jaak would be the guys to talk too...they frag almost everything...wonder why the nennie project has been so quite:whistling:

12. Gawiedj

Gawiedj

@Marlin: I have been lucky I guess. Both Florida and yuma seem to do well in my setups. I started with T5 Lighting 2 x Actinic 18w and 6 x 10 000k 18w, then Upgraded to 150w MH with 2 x 24w actinic tubes. I have some under T5 lighting again at the moment and they are doing well. They take quite some time to get to full color after a change in lighting. This happened when moving them to MH from T5 lighting and also when moving them from T5 to MH.
    If you look in my tank thread here: Gawie's Nano - Page 13 - Nano Tank advice
    You'll see how the Rics grew in my Nano.
    I cannot recall the exact tank parameters but it would have been in the following range:
    Amonia = 0
    Nitrite = 0
    Nitrate = low quite often 0 (had to use the reference sample with my Seachem kit quite often to check my readings were true)
    PH = 8.1 to 8.3
    KH = 7 to 9
    Calcium = 350 to 400

I dose Seachem Reef Plus as directed on the bottle, Seachem Reef Advantage strontium, Seachem reef calcium or reef complete to maintain or raise calcium as and when needed, the seachem KH buffer as needed too (I cannot remember the name and the bottle is somewhere in a box ;)).

As far as fragging is concerned have a look here;
    Fraggin it... - Fragging Corals

I wrote an article on fragging these for the local fishkeeping mag (nudge nudge; wink wink;)), I'll see if I can find it.

I hope it helps.

Edit: The nennies are no longer in my care, they have moved on to their owners, I am not a big fan of nennies so I did not keep any of the frags. To be honest it's a lot of work to frag nennies and keep them happy for the first week or so, not something I'll do again.
    Rics are much easier.

13. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Your the first guys that i know fragging a nennie with succsess in S.a.
    Cant wait for the new fragging seseons in the future.

14. Marlin Fischer

Gawie i took a look at your thread and awesome tank bud!!

You have a nice variety of rics!

If you keen we should start a thread of pics of different mushrooms (especially rics and blastimosa) to see what everyone has.

I'm going back 2 my place 2morrow after a while of being away and i'll be taking some pics of the rest of my collection (from my old tank) that i added 3 weeks ago that, for the last 4 months, has been babysitted for me.

I have 4 orange/blue and yellow floridas (that i'm sure u would like) in my tank at the moment and one seems 2 be splitting again so if you keen we should maybe do a swap sometime. :)

Have a look at my tank thread, theres a pic of one there. Title 'Fischers Peninsula' under 'supersized tanks'.

Also how those owl eyed muschrooms doing that you aquired with your midas? I have lumo red/yellow ones aswell as green/blue ones in my tank. The green/blue/purple ones seem to be doing great however the red/yellow ones seem to have some thin algae growing on them (brownish tinge). You know if they have the same light requirements as other shrooms? i'm starting to think they prefer dim light?

15. Marlin Fischer

Gawie and Lanzo

Shot for the assistance and the tank specs regarding the Yumas!

Still not sure though why only some of the varieties have taken to my tank and others not:confused1:

The mushroom pic thread must happen...Gawie i think you can take the honours of going first:thumbup:

16. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Marlin there already is a thread with ric pics...

Rockstar Ricordea's - Soft Corals

There is a mushroom pic thread somewhere as well, but I can't remember what it was called.

Ps. Blastomussa's aren't mushrooms they are an LPS ;)

17. Marlin Fischer

Thanks for the thread Kunhardt!

And ya ...haha....i know blastomussa's are LPS:) ... just a path of thought while i was typing.

Thanks though.:p

Recent Posts