Ricordia Mushrooms keep dying

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Fran, 30 Sep 2012.

1. Fran

Fran

Hi all.

Please can someone tell me why my Ricordeas keep dying? Everything else in my tank is perfectly fine. My first set started melting about 2 months ago. They had been in my tank from the start and were doing great then suddenly they started looking bad and then melted away over a period of about 2 weeks. My 2 other sets also started melting away after that, they were in totally different places in the tank. I then put carbon in just incase and waited for a few weeks, tried another set which looked fabulous for about 2-3 weeks and then exactly the same thing happened. My parameters are all perfect, nitrate, nitrites 0, ph 8.3, kh around 8.7-8.9.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Hi, i got also a few. No problem with my. I know for sure they don't like strong water currents , they then not eating and starving. Do you feed them..

4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

5. Fran

Fran Thread Starter

Hi,

No I don't feed them specifically. We feed mysis, artemia, micro plankton, cyclops, vitamins, pellets and flakes. Been told that the micro plankton and cyclops will be enough so adding this to every feed. As mentioned they were fabulous for months and then this all started out the blue.

Lighting is t5s. 6 long globes, 2 white, 2 blue and 2 pink and then one small white one on the one side that didn't get enough light.

6. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Ok, what type of T5's and when did you last change your tubes?

7. Fran

Fran Thread Starter

Not sure about type - looks like dymax and halio, haven't changed them as my tank is only 7 months old. All my other corals are perfect including soft corals, Lps and sps so don't think it's lighting ....?

8. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Try and post some pics of your tank, lets have a look, maybe someone can pick up the problem.:)

9. Fran

Fran Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I would love to add a photo but don't seem to be able to from iPad, have tried safari and chrome and the buttons to browse to the file are grayed out

10. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Hi, they also don't want to stong ligts, all ear's and softies dont want to brigh ligt. My ligt's consist only 2 blue and 2 wites, and place them middel half of your tank

11. Rhyn

Rhyn

Ricordea are quite hardy guys and will thrive in most conditions. The main killer of these guys are other corals stinging them to death. make sure they are not to close to other corals as all it takes is one sting and that's it. They don't like allot of light so place them in the lower half of the tank and as mentioned keep the flow to a minimal. Mine feed from the water column as i also do a mixed grill and have got a few babies. good luck bud cause these guys are pricey

12. ScottK

ScottK

Get Tapatalk, best application for browsing the forum from Ipad, Iphone or Android devices. It also lets you upload photos easily.

13. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Which ricordeas do you have? Florida or Yuma? I suspect you have yumas as they are known to melt away after some time. I have also had a few that was perfectly fine and multiplied, and then all of a sudden they start dying one at a time.

14. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Fran - Ricordia's are known as "corralimorphs". They live of different "food sources", ie:
    - from the bacteria in their cells that uses chloroplast to generate energy - this is done by taking up nutrients (nitrates and phosphates) from the water by osmosis
    - by actually eating larger food particles, which they catch from the water

They are a combination of coral, and anemone's. Because of the 2nd way of being fed, they actually need to feed. Have you ever seen your rics feed? They close up when they have caught food.

Try switching off all the power-heads in your tank, use a turkey baster, and target feed your rics, using very finely blended food, or perhaps artemia..... or even roe....

Repeat at least twice a day for now - IF they are not too far gone, that they would not eat at all anymore......... They should then recover.

Have your rics bleached at all (become whiter than normal)? They could have expelled the chloroplasts that they use to feed internally in their cells.....

15. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

SIMS had a ricordia farm going on.
    He lost hundreds of them for no apperent reason they just melted and disappeared. These are yumas the floridas are much better and dont suffer from this.
    All this other corals were fine with no issues.
    he dosed magic and done tons of water changes and nothin helped

Last edited: 1 Oct 2012
  16. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Ziyaad - I have seen rics and mushies suffer in water that was meant for SPS corals. Mushies and rics prefer water with higher nutrient levels (as per my last post), due to the fact that they take some of their "food" from the water. If the water's nutrient levels are far too low (ie. SPS levels), then this is exactly what happens to them: they slowly deteriorate and "shrivel up and die".

There was a reefkeeper on MASA, living in PE, whom had a tank that he "just fed". Did no water changes nothing - no skimmer on that tank either. And the mushrooms and rics flourished for 5 years. They multiplied so much, that they actually killed off the other corals in the tank.....

Nothing in nature "happens for no reason". There has to be a reason for everything. We just don't always know what the reasons are.... ;)

17. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

he had no sps in the tanks but other lps and softies and only the yumas melted away, everything else 100% - Just saying

18. nepellew

nepellew

Whats you Temp sitting at they dont like heat at all i have my self 2 and the one has already got a new head i only have 2 24watt t5's chiller and skimmer and all my shroons are multypling like Bbbbbbbb Ja Rats

19. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

@ziyaadb

SIMS actually had Florida Rics.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

and yumas my good man. his yumas melted @SIMS if he comes he can answer as well

21. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

and yumas my good man. his yumas melted
    @SIMS if he comes he can answer as well

Recent Posts