Ricordea

Reaction score
Hi guy's I'd like to hear from those of you that have had success with ricordea.
It's the one coral that I seem to have limited luck with.
I can't get them to grow and multiply and seem to gradually waste away.

What am I missing ?

Last edited by a moderator:
DR, I have some luck with my green ones, there is about 5 new ones on the "mother rock"

I have some that are high up in the tank, they are moving down the rock, my middle ones are multiplying like crazy and I have one that came lose that is lying on the base of the tank, and he looks the best of them all, he is a very dark green. I have taken new photos today, I will post some later, still need to resize them

I had two and both divided twice in my one nano. Lighting was pee colored 6500K Energy savers and very minimal flow. Other than that I have no idea what to tell you.

Here is a photo so long, the two big ones at the bottom and the three small ones at the top

Rics01.jpg

I wonder if they prefer slightly nutrient richer water to thrive ?

Although I've seen SPS systems that are heavily skimmed and yet they have thriving ricordea as well.
Did you guy's target feed them at all ?

Probably... my sps are all brown and rics are doing pretty well... Feed your rics, they will be bigger and better the next day.

Um, put food on them... I turn off the pumps etc then put my arm in the water with a pinch of whatever and sprinkle it on them. Sometimes I mix the food in water in a glass and then suck it up with a dropper and just slowly let the food fall out of the dropper onto the coral.

I cant even offer any help here as this is ane coral i too have had no success.

i've got a few in here now and they are going well running 250w mh in a luminarc 3
some are in a low light area and ones almost in a full light spot all seem to be going well
the first one that i put in has now split in two ! i think are quite rare brown with metallic green
and the other's are green as in pic below
DSCF0846.jpg

Last edited:
Mine battled a bit when I first got them, but have recovered and started to get nice colour. Jonothetigger I also have quite a few of those ones and some other nice but different ones. Anyone got any others to trade, or should I be asking that somewhere else?

The first batch of Ricordeas I had were ok for a week or two. Then they shriveled up and died. I was given two more rock by a family member and they are growing like wild fire. They seem to like water that is has a few nutrients in. I use Invert banquet fairly often and after a good feeding they open wider than before. I have had , in my limited experience, fairly good luck with them. At the base of most of them there are new "babies" coming off the mother ricordea.
Mille I am keen to trade. Perhaps PM me ?
Smithers.

I hate to say this guys but I don't think that either of the pics buy Phyco or Jonothetigger are Ricordia, but rather Rhodactis.

I Have found Ricordia Yuma from Indonesia to be better in my tanks, and must more colourful than Florida. We seem to get very limited colours here from the states

Back
Top Bottom