Riaanv's 1.5m

Discussion in 'Supersized Tanks' started by Riaanv, 21 Feb 2013.

1. Riaanv

Riaanv

Hi all,

Have been visisting the forum for the past five years but never really posted, but did read a lot and learned from the members on here (and still is).

Thought maybe it is time that I posted some details of my "work in progress". Initially I was going to wait until the system is "right" or in my eyes at least "good" but have realised the day I am satisfied may never come so might as well post what I have and see what advice can be obtained.

Hardest lesson learnt to date: "calibrate your refractometer regularly". If it is not properly calibrated the standard solution of water changes when you are unsure what exactly the problem is just makes things worse, especially for sps (a reading of 1.025 was actually 1.016!), the more I changed the water the worse things became. Second lesson: don't panic and overreact!

Photo of my old system which ran for about four years in Kimberly untill 2011 (with some nice Mojano's which started off as one..... third lesson:whistling:):

"Tank" for 16 months since moving to Cape Town before settling in a permanent residence again, an oshtridge drinking bowl (mainly to keep the clam I had almost since starting in the hobby). Photo just after moving it for the final time.

Further below new tank stand and glass. Will post some further details later.

old tank.jpg

P1050365.jpg

P1050366.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Your old system did look very healthy, just love that clam!
    Looking fwd to see your new system develop :)

4. Riaanv

Riaanv Thread Starter

Stand in place. Was fortunate enough to negotiate some space for a fishroom with a sink, water, separate electricity so I don't trip the house power. Previous display now houses a remote DSB.

P1050385.JPG

P1050388.jpg

5. Riaanv

Riaanv Thread Starter

Thanks, also thought it was healthy, but it did have a "dirty" look to it which I am trying to avoid in the new system.

6. Riaanv

Riaanv Thread Starter

Basic system:

Display: 1500L x 1500W x 700H with water at 650. 19mm base, 15mm sides, braced top and bottom. Two viewing panes, clear glass. RO going in..........

Sump: 500 litre "beeskrip" 1400L x 900W x 400H (cow drinking trough). Also houses two scrubber screens (950L x 650H).

Remote DSB: 1800L x 450W x 650H (old display, did not know better to make it wider at that stage, another lesson).

Quarantine/(maybe frag tanks in distant future): 8 tanks 900L x 500W x 400H. Only two running at the moment, third used as top up reservoir. rest currently not in use.

Overflow filtration tank next to display: 1050L x 350W x 350H. Wanted to skim and filter before water go to the scrubber all on the same loop (sump pump to display which drains to filtration tank, which drains over scrubber screens into sump).

Scrubber screens placed on glass. This way screens can be removed and cleaned without shutting off the return pumps. Made one mistake here, the left hand screen takes some body contortion to get off for cleaning.

P1050434.jpg

P1050431.jpg

P1050440.jpg

P1050368.jpg

7. Riaanv

Riaanv Thread Starter

Filtration

Skimmer: ATI 250i powercone (rated 2000-3000 litre). Filtration tank sized to accomodate a second skimmer of similar size.DSBs, Orca biocubes (1500ml) which need to be increased to approximately 5000ml I think. Alga scrubber screens.

P1050675.JPG

P1050677.JPG

8. Bendor

Bendor

This all looks very interesting. You have enough tanks and filtration to run a lfs from home!

Do you mind if I ask you about the scrubber and the cubes? Are they not going to compete for the same nutrients? I know one is yeast and one algae but it's my understanding they both use the same nutrients so one should win and the other will look like it doesn't function well. Or is it just a case of belts and braces that can carry a really heavy bio load?

9. Riaanv

Riaanv Thread Starter

You are right, they will compete for the same nutrients. I think the cubes is taking the bulk of the nutrients at the moment. If I compare alga growth to my previous system (without cubes) there is definately less and the one screen is growing corraline in between...so the screens are not 100%. My hope is that whatever the cubes miss the scrubber will pick up instead of the display. I was also thinking you cannot have too much filtration and what I have read elsewhere suggested that it is fine to run a system with all three.

Had the space so decided to go for all of it.

10. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Interesting setups riaan, will keep en eye on your system
    As you build it up!
    Oh, & welcome to MASA. Enjoy every minute!

11. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome and awesome setup
    Look forward to seeing it grow

12. Riaanv

Riaanv Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcomes, really hoping that it works out in the long run.

13. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

It will, just be diligent on the husbandry and enjoy

14. Riaanv

Riaanv Thread Starter

Agree, diligence goes a long way and relaxing for a while can cause damage and long recovery periods.

On to lights - Would have loved LED but budget was blown at that stage - so using DIY T5 with ten ATI tubes, purple plus, aquablue special, actinic, blue plus, coral plus, blue plus, aqua blue plus, blue plus, purple plus, aquablue special. Not sure yet whether it is too white. Did add reflectors subsequent to below pictures.

Internal flow: 6 Tunze 6125's 12000lph non-controlable

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Riaanv

Riaanv Thread Starter

I have always found aquascaping difficult and I don't like redoing and redoing as sometimes the later versions never look as good as an earlier version.

So I went to the next best thing, trying to find a system that I can attempt to re-create. But that also did not really work so on to the next thing.

Built a simple PVC framework and placed liverock on it. I like the PVC pipes as it gives stability and you can create slopes that would be more difficult to create without it. Drawback I suppose is skewerred rocks can look unnatural and eventually you need to cover all extruding PVC. Then again, skewerred rocks with corals growing over it, likely not more unnatural looking than any tank. So opted for this.

The plan was to basically have three islands, lost of space between the rocks and the glass - space was a problem in my previous system - with only 450 wide I continously broke corals when working inside the tank.

Also wanted it to look kind of like a solid wall from one angle and as you walk around the tank gaps "open up" - easier said than done.

The access doors on top of the tank still need to be completed (giving the look of a canopie). The frag rack is temporary, testing some frags closer to the light to see what happens.

[​IMG]

P1050600.jpg

P1050599.jpg

P1050601.jpg

P1050642.JPG

P1050640.JPG

16. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

I like your scaping ideas :) Plenty of space for coral placement
    How did you attain stability? Did you thread the pvc through the rocks. or did you glue them together?

17. Blue Reefer

Blue Reefer MASA Contributor

What an awesome setup!

18. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Nice setup & like the scaping but man what a massive filtration system you got going. Mikey likey:thumbup:

19. Riaanv

Riaanv Thread Starter

The stand is 20 mm PVC glued together (connected under the sand). The rocks are then drilled and slide over the pipe. Pipe was bent using a bending spring (think electricians use this)

P1050461.jpg

20. Riaanv

Riaanv Thread Starter

Thanks guys...just can't shake the feeling that I need another skimmer:)

21. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

WoW!! This is an ewsome build! Gonna be even better a year or three down the line! Super Job mate!

Recent Posts