Reverse Syphon

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by maxisoft, 29 Jun 2011.

1. maxisoft

maxisoft

Hi Guys,

As we all use a system to stop a reverse syphon, and I notice most (including me) just use a small flex airline hose above the water mark, what is your experience in using a one-way water valve on the return and overflow?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

on the return maybe .... but a hole is harder to fail than a mechanical element such as a one way valve.

On the overflow, NEVER .... a small snail or hermit goes through the overflow and the you in shit with the missus propper !!

4. zak

zak

Please explain gents? Iv got nothing at the moment to stop reverse siphon from my return pump, where would i fit this airline tube?

5. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

where the return pipe enters the DT just above/bellow the water line you must make a hole so when the power goes out, the air will break the syphon and prevent the water from draining out into your sump.

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

A one way valve on the return pump just add unnecessary head pressure and reduces flow rate drastically. And I have heard of them failing as well. Just stock with the siphon break at the top. Easy to check and clean and you know they work.

7. rakabos

rakabos

Sounds like over engineering at its best, adding a valve :p

8. mytank

mytank

Well depends, when you wake up at 4am walk into your lounge to go to the kitchen to make coffee and its underwater cause the siphon didnt work......

9. *Philip*

*Philip*

I drilled a 5mm hole about 5mm under the water surface. When pump stops air is sucked into return pipe immediately. Dont drill above because air will get sucked in by the flow and make bubbles in the tank.

Reef Maniac likes this.
  10. *Philip*

*Philip*

Huh? That was very helpful

11. maxisoft

maxisoft Thread Starter

Haha, says he who has inverter system, battery backup for 8 hrs, etc.... :tt2:

Not to mention a sophisticated and failsafe quarantine system..... So I heard...:p

12. rakabos

rakabos

wahahahahahaa

Lot of good my inverter will do when the return pump fails :p

I have a siphon, hopefully it works if needed!

13. Braco

Braco

believe me the 5mm hole just below the surface of the water works for me..i got home from work one day finding the sump overflowed..luckily the boss lady wasn't home yet so i could do damage control...but since then i drilled that 5mm hole and suffer no more wetlands....:thumbup:

14. rakabos

rakabos

Well there are two kinds of bike riders in the world, those who have fallen and those who are still gonna fall...

Same goes for reefing, ure not a true reefer till you had your first flood!

15. mytank

mytank

I was referring to a siphon which didn't work yesterday. I have a siphon some reason it didn't work yesterday, woke up to my lounge flooded.

Hence I don't mind the over engineering...

16. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Guys, just to correct terminology: a siphon (or syphon...) is the mechanism that causes the water to flow up for a short distance in the pipe, and then down, causing the flooding... a siphon break is the little hole in the pipe (usually just below water level) that allows air to be sucked into the siphon, thus "breaking" it, and stopping the flooding.

And by the way, I fully agree, a siphon break is VITAL on any pipe which usually carries water "uphill" on our systems... and a one way valve will work fine, until the day that you really need it to prevent a major flood - then Mr. Murphy will make sure that it does not work :whistling:

Hennie

Last edited: 29 Jun 2011
  17. gavster

gavster

Thanks for that Reef Maniac. I've noticed more and more unrelated and confusing comments creeping in outside of the PM realm. Many of the "pro's" are underestimating the value of their information to us Newbie's and how valuable a concise answer can be when an emergency breaks and guys are sorting through hundreds of threads to find the solution.

18. AndrévN

AndrévN

Nice answer oom Hennie, but the non return valves we buy at irrigation outlets has a metal spring for pushing the valve back when flow stops and gets pushed the other way, believe me i found this out when i started this hobby. And after many days of my leathers refusing to open actually found out or thought about this (after testing the iron content of course) and when i removed it the leathers started opening again. By luck read about warr's experience and he found a metal screw that fell into his sand which evidently had the same effect and this led me to investigate my problem. So yes a one way valve or non return valve is good but make sure it contains no metal parts that will be exposed to the tanks water though. Just something i can add from experience. :p

Reef Maniac likes this.
  19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

My Siphon break
    [​IMG]
    above water level. A micro irrigation connector inserted with the slanted part facing partly upwards. So that you get a nice pee line. Very easy to check it its blocked, just look at it. If it looks like there is some blockage, then use a toothpick to clean it.

Bonus, the likely hood that a snail will sit on the end is zero in case the power goes out.

20. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

This is a VERY important point - thank you for pointing this out. Even worse, many of these valves contain copper or brass washers or internal parts as well, and that's even worse...

Hennie

21. zak

zak

Sort of related to the thread, what's the recommended piping to use between the return pump and DT?

Recent Posts