Returning after a couple months

Reaction score
Hi Guys

So I used to be active on the forum, unfortunately work became very hectic and I had to give the hobby up for a while. However I have just filled my tank again and obviously will be waiting for it to mature.

1500cm x 450cm x 450cm

I'm putting a DSB in tank. I went to look for some LR over the week, but everywhere I looked had horrible bubble algae all over the LR. I don't want to go through all the effort of getting the tank setup just to spoil it by adding rubbish LR, so guys, any ideas where I can get some nice LR and Live Sand? I'm in the Fourways area.

Reaction score
Welcome back Sparky!!

Reaction score
nice to have you back sparky....but better to know you are getting life back into your tank:)

dsb in DT or external? whatsubstrate do u intend to use?

have you had a chat to some of the sponsors for LR, might...i hope....be bubble algae free, although i hear aptasia is free of chrage...if they do try charge you, report them!

Reaction score
DSB going to be in the main display, I've always liked the look of it. Using fine playsand, washed until its as close to white as its going to get :)

Man, I swear I didn't struggle with LR this much last time round!
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Sparky bubble algae isn't that hard to control - don't pop it under water or you can get mythrax crabs that love it, or if your tank is big enough (over 2 metres) foxface rabbitfish love it.

Reaction score
good on you, about half the size as it should be as the books say, but nice to know you doing an intank dsb....i would love to but thats alot of aragonite to cover a 1.8m, and too expensive....nice to know u using play sand. if you think its clean, wash it again! :)

Reaction score
I do seem to remember a whole debate around aragonite and whether it really is worth it considering the cost...

So you guys are saying bubble algae is not that bad and can be controlled? I'd hate to rush into anything here, probably the worst thing you can do with marines...
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I do seem to remember a whole debate around aragonite and whether it really is worth it considering the cost...

So you guys are saying bubble algae is not that bad and can be controlled? I'd hate to rush into anything here, probably the worst thing you can do with marines...
Posted via Mobile Device
I have actually seen bubble algae for sale in lfs, and yes nothing good happens fast in marines.

Reaction score
Welcome back Sparkster :)

Reaction score
Well I am going back tomorrow for a few odds and ends that I would like, so will get a few pieces or LR an just see how it goes...

Thanks for all the welcome's guys :)

Apologies that my smileys don't come out. I do 90% of my browsing from my cell phone...
Posted via Mobile Device