return syphon

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm needing to make a hole at the top of my return pipe before it goes into my tank to break the syphon in the event of a power outage.. it's 32mm piping that has a 90degree elbow attached to a 180deg (2x 90deg) that's attached to a standpipe leading down to my 5000L/h pump.

So where do I drill the hole?

I hope I've explained ok... thanks.

Just below the running water level. Too high and it will suck air and give you micro bubbles too low and your sump will overflow.

What I normally do, is mark the return with a marker at the tanks running level with the sump at it's normal running level.

Then switch the tank off and mark the return level when the sump is just about to overflow. Drill your hole just above this level.

Just below the running water level. Too high and it will suck air and give you micro bubbles too low and your sump will overflow.

What I normally do, is mark the return with a marker at the tanks running level with the sump at it's normal running level.

Then switch the tank off and mark the return level when the sump is just about to overflow. Drill your hole just above this level.

Awesome advice - exactly what I needed. Thanks.

Drill two small holes, in case one is blocked. Algae can grow the hole diameter so small, that it doesn't serve the purpose any more.

Last edited:
or do this

10944a6ad44083a23.jpg

Micro garden irrigation connector, above the water line.
You see no pee.... its blocked.

and no snail will sit there.

or do this

10944a6ad44083a23.jpg

Micro garden irrigation connector, above the water line.
You see no pee.... its blocked.

and no snail will sit there.

That is what I had times two. It needs regular maintenance as the connector blocks quite well. Cleaning with a toothpick is needed. The hose blocks with algae and needs to be cleaned as well. But it is an option and it is visible if it would function or not.

I have 5 of these at the moment. No issues.

the slanted part must not face into the flow, else it scoops any rubbish coming through.

Back
Top Bottom