Return pump with run dry protection

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Marine007, 26 Feb 2015.

1. Marine007

Marine007

Hi, I've got my RO unit and RO drum outside the house and pump in the RO via RO piping into the house.
    Looking for a pump that can pump about 4 meters high (thin pipe) and with run-dry protection.

Any suggestions / ideas?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

You could use an R.O Booster pump...they are very strong and can push for meters without losing head pressure...
    Im not 100% sure but I think they can also be run dry cos they are diaphragm pumps

Last edited: 27 Feb 2015
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Thin pipe will give a lot of back pressure. See if you can upgrade to at least 10mm inner diameter.

Run-dry protection, sorry, rather get yourself a SAGA auto top up or any other brand that have a stop function if it does not reach the top float switch within a set time period.

SAGA on setting B, with both float switches in the same chamber. Have 4 settings, 1, 2, 3 minutes or none. If the top float is not reached within 1,2 or 3 minutes the unit stops pumping and sounds an alarm. Simple, you cannot run your pump dry.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2015
  5. zippy

zippy

Why would you need a run/dry pump?

Think of it this way the pump will pump up water to about 3 meters and then may start sucking air, the impeller and shaft are therefore still lubricated because of the water in the pipe thanks to gravity and the water wanting to return back into the pump, the cycle then would start over, this is just what I have experienced with my equipment. The only time I have had a pump burn out on me is when left for extended periods of say days, also when the pump is higher than the outlet of your pipe I've had a external skimmer pump burn.

6. Marine007

Marine007 Thread Starter

My setup is as follows - RO unit runs into a 300+l container, from where I drop it into a 50l container.
    The 50l container has the pump in that pumps the RO into the ATO chamber of my sump.

The reason for pumping from the 50l is not to flood my house!

However the process is very slow and the 50l container can run empty resulting in a pump running dry. Especially if while waiting for the water to pump across I get distracted or start doing something else!

Was thinking of building a cut-out switch with a water level sensor. Just wondered if there is not a pump that already has this feature that I can use.

7. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

From what I been reading now ont he internet is that a R.O booster pump can run dry...but it will run dry until you come and switch it off...
    So...to prevent it from running dry for long periods, install a float switch so that when the float switch triggers it will switch off the pump...when there is water on the 50l container then it will switch on the pump...

leslie hempel likes this.
Recent Posts