Return pump question

Reaction score
Heres a real dof one, had a power cut this morning, went home at lunchtime and the return pump (Rio) is pumping with triple the force it had before. What is going on here?

Reaction score
NO I have a Rio 14hf I think and it does the same thing...think Andrew said when it goes off and on it sometimes spins in reverse....

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Gaboon - do you have an air-hole in the pipe at the top-end of the return, where the return pipe goes back into the tank? If not, you might have had SOME water siphoning going on, and the water that was flowing in a reverse direction back into your sump, might indeed have "cleaned out" the return pump.... And the impeller, etc...

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Does look like a bit too much flow going on there, I wouldn't be happy with that, I would throttle it down a bit.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Any chance you could fit a ball valve just above the pump, before it goes into the display tank?

Reaction score
Could do that. I'll get one tomorrow. Could it put a lot of strain on the pump? Sorry for the dumb questions:blushing:

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Gaboon - it would most likely put SOME strain on the pump. But unless you run the pump with the ball-valve / gate-valve completely closed, it should not damage the pump in any way.