Return Pump noisy

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Alias, 27 Mar 2011.

1. Alias

Alias

Searched the forum but didn't get much joy. I have a resun b-1500 return pump rated at 1500lph. When i used it to transfer water from the bins to the tank it was super quite but now that its in the sump its quite noisy. I read somewhere it could be air bubbles in the pump so i tuned it off, emptied it and re submerged it and tilted it to try prime it with out air in there, still doesn't seem to help.

any ideas? pump is brand new, went in yesterday.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

I would think the 1500 lph is a little small to lift 3ft to the top of the tank and give you a nice flowrate, so the pump might be under too much pressure.
    But ask the shop where you bought it should swop out the impella for you if its new to make sure its not just a impella rattle , which does happen.
    Good luck
    David

4. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

dont think its that, its pumping water out at the top so hard its blowing all my substrate around. what i did find was that if i took the air in let pipe off it quietened down a lot. so what im thinking is that the pipe is actually too small and it cant handle the flow rate. when the air inlet was on it was pumping water out that too.

5. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Yes, you shouldnt be using the venturie on the power head ( the thin air tube ) when pumping from the drip filter to the main tank.
    if your pipe is the same size as the pumps outlet, it cant be too small though +-16mm ?

6. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

yeah, it 15mm i think but easily fits, used a clamp fitting to make it sit nicely on the pump connector. im thinking maybe the elbows are a problem.

7. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Elbows can put a bit of pressure on the pump, but not much.

Try another impella , if the pump is noisy, then you can at least rule that out...

8. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

will do that, weird thing yesterday, i turned off the pump for a second to stop the overflow and turned it on and then it was completely silent. this morning though its making a little noise which makes me think in the direction of a pipe problem with a build up of pressure.

9. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

are there not bubbles developing in your last chamber of your filter and being sucked it the pump?

10. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

not that i noticed. will look more closely tonight after work. The DT overflow into the sump is producing bubbles (have bought new plumbing to help prevent this)

Ill see if it could be bubbles, if not bubbles then its the impeller, if its not that then i dunno..

Recent Posts