Return plumbing help

Reaction score
I want to redo my return plumbing. I am currently using a single line up to my DT and would like to split it off to two to add a little more flow and run my reactors off my return.

I need some assistance on where I need valves and what size pump I will need (I was thinking in the region of 4000-5000 LPH). DT is about 140L and sump 100L, about 1.4M from the base of the sump to the top of the DT. I will be running two reactors, one for NP pellets and the other for GFO. I have got the 20mm PVC pipe and fittings.

Here is a very bad picture of my idea (my google sketch up skills are worse). The red lines are where I was thinking of putting the valves to regulate the flow.

49225000148fc379a.jpg

Last edited:
The first valve (red line just right of the t-piece from the return pump) should be placed above the t-piece. This way you will be able to regulate the flow going to the reactors.

That is correct, with the valve in that position you can direct more or less flow to the reactors. How about running the reactors from the line draining water from the DT. I would also move the reactor valves to the position just after the t-pieces delivering water to them. Water will take the path of lease resistans. Keep that in mind.

Last edited:
The flow on my return is quite low at the moment, another reason for wanting to get a bigger pump. I have 1750 lph Hailea at the moment that I will upgrade, just don't know how big I should go.

I would rather put the valve at the end of the recycle ( after the reactors ). This way you can control the flow to your tank and to your recycle untill you get your desired flow!

In the first PIC you will strugle to control the flow to your reactors as there will be no pressure.

In the second PIC you will strugle to get flow to your Display because the water will take the shortest route that is the recycle!

Hope my explanation makes sense!

@Christo thanks.

What size pump do you think will be needed and do you think the 20mm pipe will be ok?

Last edited by a moderator:
Water will take the path of leaste resistance, so you won't get much flow going to you reactors.

Thats exactly why you throttle the recycle and the head pressure to the Display will give you more then suficient flow thru your reactors!

It's going to take some dialing of course!

here is my return line splitter.

10944e5148828b05f.jpg

It is a normal garden irrigation fitting that I got from Chamberlain Hardware. Normal connectors and ballvalves.

Using a Water Blaster 5000L/h pump.

Easy to control the flow to each destination.

Back
Top Bottom