Return Outlet Placement

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by scubaninja, 23 Jul 2009.

1. scubaninja

scubaninja

Well doing some work on my new tank i was trying to come up with a way to use my return pump to maximise effects so i thought i would start this thread so everybidy can add their 2c to help newbies or those in a bit of a bind:p

my ideas of how a return pump should be used in each case:

For a Side or Corner over the return should be on the other side of the tank pointing at the overflow, the center of the overflow in the case of a C2C(coast to coast)

For a central overflow either a split where there is one outlet on either side of the tank pointing at the overflow, or two(or just one) outlets at a third of the total length of the tank and at two thirds the length of your tank pointing away from the overflow so as to create a general circular movement from the outsides of the tank into the centre from the front.

For a Back C2C overflow IMO the best is just to put the outlet in the back centre of the tank pointing forward. this will spread the flow the best.

On the point of the actual outlet, you could put it on a Calfo manifold, a simple 90degree bend, a 45degree bend or just let it point straight down. With the 90degree bend if you dont put the outlet too deep under the water surface it could help with disturbing the water surface, with a 45degree you could be helping to stir up detritus at the point in which the outlet is pointing. With just the oulet pipe pointing down again helping to stir up detritus.

So with all my opinions, lets hear what everybody elses 2c is:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Travis1

Travis1 (wilsontravy)

nice idea. mine is a 4foot, external overflow on side of tank. so will be putting the return on the opposite side, just above/under water level.

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

just something to think about but i have been hateing my return (situated just below my water level andgled with an elbow) as when i do water changes the water pumping back into the tank when i top up my sump slashes all over the place (i gravity feed my NSW to the sump and pump up to the DT), i cant tell you how many times i have had to clean the cover glasses on my suspended hailide unit a second time after filling up, my personal choice is to run this pipe to the bottom and use it to flush eliminating this from happening in the future.

it may be minor but its very annoying to me.

5. Sentari

Sentari

Why not stop the return pump while you replacing water? Sorry if this is a stupid question...

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i do but i gravity feed the new water from the drums into my sump and pump back up to the tank, this is when the splashing occours.

7. Sentari

Sentari

Hmmmm..... why not just use a pump to put the water into the DT? Just wondering...

Recent Posts