Return line leak

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by CameL, 9 Mar 2015.

1. CameL

CameL

Hi Guys,

My return line is leaking on the bulkhead coming through the bottom of the tank, is there a way i can seal it without removing the entire thing ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What type of overflow do you have? Normal corner box? OR slim line skinny overflow?

Can you get your arm into the overflow to hold on to the inside of the bulkhead?

Else you need to clean off all salt residue, dry the area around the bulkhead. And use lots and lots of silicone until you eventually are lucky enough to seal it. Does look like a job done by a five year old.

4. CameL

CameL Thread Starter

Corner overflow box, and the durso is loose so i can remove the entire thing, except the bulkhead, would really like a permanent fix as difficult as that may be, how long can the tank stand without flow through the sump ?

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Just put your return pump going directly to the first chamber. Your biological filtration will not suffer.

That job should take less than an hour. Most likely will need an extra hand to help you.

6. CameL

CameL Thread Starter

Im a bit confused, you talking about cycling the sump ? The sump is still running but i've disconnected the return pump, so it's not flowing through the tank, because it's leaking and overnight i now have a layer of water under the tank between it and the polystyrene

7. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

You could try something like this. Saw the add in builders one day and it looks impressive but you never know how much BS they talk. its just a spray (which comes in a clear version) that seals any leaks. So you can just spray it around the bulkhead at the bottom of the tank.
    https://www.verimark.co.za/products/mighty-sealer

8. CameL

CameL Thread Starter

It looks interesting, and exactly what i need if it works, think i need to give it a try
    On second thought, upon reading some user reviews, i think i should rather just try and silicone the outside and bottom of the glass around the bulkhead

Last edited: 9 Mar 2015
  9. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

As long as you keep the sump flowing in all chambers and some flow in the tank, you should be fine for a few days. I once took my sump offline for about 4 days to fix a similar leak to yours, I just put a smaller pump in the sump like Riaan mentioned and had it flowing from one side to the other. The tank was fine as it has internal flow pumps, just need to put a heater in the tank as well as in the sump.

10. CameL

CameL Thread Starter

Thanks Viper, Yeah it's been disconnected for a couple days now, still looking for this seal. anyways, im gonna go try steward and lloyds just now in modderfontein, i believe they have the seal and extra fittings that i require. But what a mission.

11. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

What seal are you looking for? The big black one? Once it's all back together I would silicone the inside, outside, underneath, on top, everywhere, lol.

12. CameL

CameL Thread Starter

25mm tank connector washers, got one slightly too big last night, and leaking again.
    I didn't think silicone bonded well to PVC, i had siliconed previously and it leaked, so want to do it properly now as my head can't take much more frustration before it pops.

13. CameL

CameL Thread Starter

So it's still leaking
    [​IMG]

The smaller one, on the tank connector, is it supposed to get a washer on either side of the glass or just on the "in tank" side??
    Your rapid response would be appreciated.

14. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I would use silicone and put it on thick between the washer and the tank connector and then again underneath the washer that will fit on top of the glass on the inside. Then put the tank connector through the hole and hand tighten it from the bottom with another washer. Will get some being squeezed out on the inside but will make a proper seal. That should sort out the leak

15. CameL

CameL Thread Starter

How long to let it dry? 48 hours ?

16. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

24 hours is more than enough

Recent Posts