Resins

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by BIG GUY, 7 Apr 2014.

1. BIG GUY

BIG GUY

I am making a rock feature to cover my outlet pipe with polyurathane foam slabs.
    I am overlaying it with glassfibre matt and coating with resin made for surfboards
    and according to my supplier it is food safe. Has anybody done this before and with what results.The resin code is ncs235PA any comment will be appreciated as this is my first tank and I spent a lot of money up to now to loose any effort already done

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chris Delport

Chris Delport

I used polyester resin that is also food safe for my background panel.The same resin was used to do a 2mm fibreglass lay up to create a sheet that was soaked with resin and I dumped crushed coral ontop.
    This panel just sits against the back glass and I put two Seio 1500's right at the back in each corner facing each other to prevent detritus collecting on the crushed coral.
    It's been four months and so far so good,no casualties so I beleive the resin is fine.

DSC05224.jpg

4. brentch

brentch

Yes it should be safe. Derakane has a similar resin used in the manufacturer of water tanks for human consumption etc. It is extremely versatile and is used by Kayak manufacturers for it's superior strength.

Here's the data sheet for it.
    http://www.ashland.com/Ashland/Static/Documents/APM/Derakane%20411%20350%20tds.pdf

If you can get the code fact sheet from NCS resins, it should tell you whether it is fully inert or not...

Good luck with the itch:p

Recent Posts