Rescaped jacques wagners tank.... What do you think.

Discussion in 'Dorry Pets Pretoria' started by lanzo, 19 Nov 2012.

1. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

@lanzo
    May I be a critic, as you asked for it.

Part of garden design is to create a garden that flows naturally, unless it is a very formal garden with square boxes and straight lines. You need a garden to flow, to look as if the plants grew there by themselves. The starting point is to get the beds to look natural.

In nature nothing is split, in the middle. That is a human trait to divide and place things equal in size. Nature does not follow that. Best way to create a big garden with beds in the middle is to split the garden five eights and three eights. Place a bed to fill the 5/8 and another in the smaller 3/8 sections. With a gap or pathway in between. Not in the middle but on the divide between the 5/8 and 3/8.

Standing back, and having the garden beds filled with plants will just look so much more natural. The space utilization will not look like a human sculpture it.

The same should be applied in your reefing when you create two islands. Nature does not build both islands the same size. The one should be bigger, the 5/8 island. The other smaller, with a gap or passage in between. The result when grown over with corals will look a lot more natural in our little ocean boxes. Compared to human 50/50 divisions.

Even 6/8 and 2/8 islands still look OK. But do not go for 50/50.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2012
  4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

I agree with RiaanP, it looks good, and the term one should be looking for is the golden ratio :)

5. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

Easier to understand is the Rule of Thirds commonly applied in photography and painting.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

In aquascaping this rule can be used to highlight a show coral or a nice rock formation (cave, ledge, arch etc.) One should also try use it not just when facing the tank, but also front to back to create visually appealing depth and well as height.

I do like the scaping idea, but would recommend making one of the rock formations higher and move it towards the back a little (1/3rd form back)

6. crispin

crispin

i think thats a good job with the scapeing, I like the open swim areas and there is lots of available sand which always helps in making a tank look bigger and more open. I think it has a little too much rock and i would lower the left hand island but keep its overall foorprint. I would also move the euphillia on the top of the left island to the other side (away from the pump) so that its slightly more protected and gets a more dispersed flow.

i think youve done a good job on keeping distance from glass with resepct to cleaning which is also important:)

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yes SeanK had a thread recently on photography, where he did touch on the Fibonachi spiral in photography
    Divine Proportion - Marine Aquariums South Africa

For me the cabinet doors and the gap line up. Making it more human like. That is just my opinion.

8. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Guess who'll I be calling to help with my scaping? :thumbup:

9. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

How much patience do you have...:)

10. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Lots, especially if I'm not using my undeveloped creative streak.:p

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

12. Blueberry

Blueberry

I think it looks fantastic, and as long as it is pleasing to your eye that's all that matters, make your own rules

Recent Posts