Res-Q-Med treatment for ich

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by BrandonW, 16 Jun 2016.

1. BrandonW

BrandonW

Hi guys I have been in the hobby a couple of months now. About 3 weeks ago I bought a regal tang. He was healthy and eating in the Lfs and had been there for about 3 weeks. Stupid me I added him straight to my DT. A day after he got white spot:banghead:.
    I was recommended Res-Q-Med from my Lfs by orca labs to use. I have been dosing it now for 16 days. My regal got worse and now is looking much better. I have just noticed now my yellow tang has started with ich, just on his side and back fins:(. Do you guys think I should carry on dosing till the 22 day recommended period is up? All my fish are fat and eating. I'm feeding nori, brine shrimp with garlic, mysis shrimp and reef flakes Thanks in advance.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. NJH

NJH

4. BrandonW

BrandonW Thread Starter

5. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish

Any med that claims to work in the display tank (unless perhaps ones that are fed to the fish) is a waste of money. Just maintain optimum water quality and feed them well and see if it improves, my fish have been living with white spot for 3 years, and zero fatalities. They build up an immunity to it if you keep them well fed and have very good water quality. But in future, quarantine anything wet, there are much worse diseases than white spot out there that will kill your fish.

The 'improvement' that you have seen is due to the life cycle of the parasite, it is 10-14 days IME between outbreaks.

6. BrandonW

BrandonW Thread Starter

Okay great thank you so much for the info!:thumbup: Don't really want to transfer them now to a quarintene, just to avoid extra stress.

7. marinenoob

marinenoob

I have been running my tank at a salinity of 1,022 after someone told me that whitespot cannot survive at that salinity. My tank has been WS free since doing that approx 1 year ago. Has anyone else done this out of interest?

8. BrandonW

BrandonW Thread Starter

That sounds interesting. How's the corals doing?

9. marinenoob

marinenoob

Perfectly fine but i dont have any SPS. I love zoas and shrooms and they are all spreading well. Did more research last night and ich actually cannot survive below 1.023. And the theory is that fish do better because they need to process less salt through their bodies. i.e. less stress.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Jul 2016
  10. NJH

NJH

U
    1,022 will not kill Ich. It is simply not true. Only true hypo salinity has an effect and that is at 1,008/1,009. Inverts will not survive this.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2016
    hotdog83 likes this.
Recent Posts