Requirements of a QT tank

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by maj, 15 Dec 2009.

1. maj

maj

i have tried searching this topic,but with no luck:

So i would like to know what exactly is required in a QT?
    Also heard of this RO dip,whats that?

Basics are:
    tank
    Heater
    powerhead
    elbow joints for hiding

Optional:
    substrate?
    skimmer?
    Lr?
    Lights?

also need sum1 to explain the adding of copper into the QT,for what is that?
    How long should the new fish be in ther?
    Can a sump with baffles be used to house 2 fish in the different compartmnts at same time?
    any advise or links to previously discussed topics is appreciated!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

RO goes for reverse osmosis "water" and not tap water. Use RO water for freshwater dip, as U might have read, freshwater dip can at certain point eliminates external parasites on a fish if ever the fish is infected. but cannot elimantes the parasites completly. thats why its good to pass through quarantine.
    I personally, my quarantine tank contains a return pump, and protein skimmer(To produce oxygen). I put the skimmer( if needed) in the sump tank and nothing else. No substrate must be used. U can add normal light ( I dont use). If u want to start QT, u shoul use a water ready full of useful bacterias, for this u might use sponge or perlon from your personal tank and put in the sump of the QT.
    Now if ur QT is ready, u can then add your fish, If ever u find your fish ill or infected with disease you can proceed with the recommended treatment.
    I can't help more am also a beginner. The experience one will be of greater help!

4. maj

maj Thread Starter

thnks dude!
    how exactly does the freshwater dip work,how do i do it?must the fish be dipped before being put in the QT?
    so a skimmer on the Qt is essential?
    Can i use my DT water and put in the QT?or must it be a fresh mix of water.
    Think i will get a sponge in my sump for now,then when need be,put the bacteria filled sponge in the QT

5. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

Yes, prefareable the water dip before quarantine. Sometime water dip is quite stressing for fish, If u have the possiblity, use 5 bukets of water with increasing salinity. The first bucktet must conatin 75-80% freshwater/ 20-25% pure saltwater. The second bucket increase the percentage of saltwater and obviously decrease the freshwater. again increase for third bucket....do this for 4 also, and by bucket 5, the salinity or specific gravity should be almost the same as ur QT water. I've used this technic in the past it works at a certain point. Well a skimmer in quanratine, not really essential, i use it to increase conC of oxygen, I live near the sea, so I frequently change the water by 25% thus maintaining an excellent water quality. Now if u using copper conC in QT, the skimmer will remove some of the copper. M8, the best is have a gud load of sponge or perlon with plenty of useful bacteria.
    Note concerning the dip: not more than 3 mins. Also, some try to maintain the same pH of the freshwater same like the QT water( I don't do it:p)..but this also is important. Put pvc pipes as a place of hiding for ur fish. DOn't use liverocks! U could also pass the water from the return pump througout a UV before going back to the tank. Ur QT should not be too small, has to be atleast 30gallons.

conC=concentration

6. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

7. maj

maj Thread Starter

Recent Posts