Requirements for new marine.

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by kendall1012, 9 Mar 2010.

1. kendall1012

kendall1012

Hi all,

As you can see i'm new here and really need some help.

I've have a Fresh water tank for about 4 years now and really getting bored of it.

I need a step by step guide of what exactly i will need for a 100l tank. Not sure which type of marine tank i want, i guess the least exspensive.

I have looked everywhere but here so i hope someone can help me.

Thanks alot

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined us before starting up as you'll have a steep learning curve ahead, but a lot of fun and well worth the effort ;)
    To start you off you need some info that will help you decide and know what to get. Read through the link in my signature - "how to start a marine tank" - this is an excellent guideline to beginners.
    I see you are in Pretoria, so AFTER you read the article, and please do :), then you contact or go and see Lanzo at Dorry Pets, he is one of our sponsors and will definitely sort you out.
    Be very careful of some petshops as they will sell you stuff you don't need like bio-balls, ceramic rings, Jebo protein skimmers, etc ,etc. They will take advantage of the fact that you're new to the hobby and rob you :(
    Use our sponsors - great shops :)

Don't be shy to ask questions, we are here to help without charging you a sent :wave2:

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello And Welcome

A 100L is cheaper that a 500L setup.
    But to maintain it is more difficult.

In my opinion anywhere between 200 and 500L is ideal size for beginners. The more water volume the better. Not saying that you could not get it right with 100L.

There is sush a big difference between fresh and salt water.

And someday, when you get the hang of it you would want it bigger. Happens to all of us.

5. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcome to MASA:) there is so much info here,just read through some of the threads and also look at some of the other members threads and see how they started up there systems.maybe you could give us some more info on what you have in mind and what you wanto achive.dont be scared to ask for advice,thats what this forum is all about;)

6. kendall1012

kendall1012 Thread Starter

I understand it might be a small tank but i don't want to go and spend so much money on something i know very little about.

@Tobes, I have printed out that guide. Will read it when can get away from my boss lol, and where is Dorry Pets? Never heard of it before.

7. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Here you go

266 27th ave Villieria Pretoria South Africa 0186
    [​IMG] lanzo@dorrypets.co.zaThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it [​IMG] 082 598 6576/012 333 1596 [​IMG] 086 563 6834

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Recent Posts