Requirements for Live Rock

u could get away with a single t5, and i would add a small airstone for that as it will improve the redox

u dont even need light.
u dont, but if you want to keep the algaes and corals etc that come with it, its beneficial for light

What is redox?
The term Redox is a shortcut for the word Reduction. ORP stands for Oxidation Reduction Potential.

Some say ORP is an indicator of the balance of oxidation and reduction reactions taking place in seawater.

Others say that ORP measures the tanks ability to process decaying organic material which requires oxygen to process. The more oxidative power the water has, the better it will be able to deal with organic material.

What is redox?

Tiger the quickest answer i can give you is that is is basically the ability for water to allow chemical reactions to take place. Higher redox (dissolved O2) allows more reactions to take place. Higher redox (more dissolved o2) lets more reactions take place assisting with breakdown of compounds in the water.

Its measured in volts

u dont, but if you want to keep the algaes and corals etc that come with it, its beneficial for light
Now if there is none of that on the rock, you may start an algea outbreak as there will be no skimming taking place, unless there will be water changes taking place

Tiger the quickest answer i can give you is that is is basically the ability for water to allow chemical reactions to take place. Higher redox (dissolved O2) allows more reactions to take place. Higher redox (more dissolved o2) lets more reactions take place assisting with breakdown of compounds in the water.

Its measured in volts

It is measured in millivolts

Redox and DO (dissolved oxygen) are two completely different things. They are often confused. Let me explain.

before the gurus cut me down this is in simplicity terms.

1) Redox is an Oxidation "gain" and "reduction" process. Measured in reduction terms. It is the ability for the water to gain or loose an oxygen atom. This is a chemical reaction. This measurement give us an indication as to which reaction is taking place or is dominant.

So, water with high REDOX can have a very low DO because the measurement is not that of DO but that the reduction potential. Likewise very low Redox can have a very high DO.

This can be proved by monitoring Redox and increasing the aeration/skimmer O2 dosing.

Redox is best controlled by dosing ozone.

Please do not confuse the two and read this.

ORP and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

It is measured in millivolts

Redox and DO (dissolved oxygen) are two completely different things. They are often confused. Let me explain.

before the gurus cut me down this is in simplicity terms.

1) Redox is an Oxidation "gain" and "reduction" process. Measured in reduction terms. It is the ability for the water to gain or loose an oxygen atom. This is a chemical reaction. This measurement give us an indication as to which reaction is taking place or is dominant.

So, water with high REDOX can have a very low DO because the measurement is not that of DO but that the reduction potential. Likewise very low Redox can have a very high DO.

This can be proved by monitoring Redox and increasing the aeration/skimmer O2 dosing.

Redox is best controlled by dosing ozone.

Please do not confuse the two and read this.

ORP and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Thanx Nemo, you are spot on (while keeping it quite simple)...I maybe tried to keep it too simple (thats why I didn't go into atom exchange , millivolts etc)

I read a lot of explanations on this and still confused :p

No problems Frans. Redox is a very complicated issue. And one not that important IMO.
I only use Redox to control nitratereductors.

Far more important is the DO. Yet most reefers have not got a clue what the DO in their tank is. We just assume that the skimmer is doing the Oxygen exchange. Whilst it does to a very small extent water surface agitation and nice long coast to coast overflows along with water running over a ATS mesh are far more beneficial.

the DO from an ATS is far higher than anything a skimmer can produce. even O2 bubbled into a system cannt compete with the effect that a decent algae bed can have of adding dissolved O2 into a system, which is what we want as its the disolved O2 thats then available.

i helped on a very large marine fish farm where O2 was bubbled into the system and was very expensive. algae beds proved to be a far more effective and better sollution and free

Back
Top Bottom