Replacing return pump with a canister filter

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Marine007, 28 Mar 2012.

1. Marine007

Marine007

For a tank with a sump - was wondering whether the filtering process in a tank can be improved by replacing the return pump with a cannister filter to pump the water into the main tank.

Most DSB area in sumps seems to be smaller than ideal, was wondering if adding a cannister to the setup will help.

Thx

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yes it will improve the nitrification process. It will reduce waist produced through to the nitrate stage faster.

your DSB will need to handle this increases the nitrate.

Last edited: 28 Mar 2012
  4. Goby

Goby

Absolutely! Although canister filters and common with freshwater setups, i don't know of any reason why you can't use it with saltwater setups. I think they can make a nice de-nitration filter addition to the setup. Anyone to share they experience using them?

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

canister filters are overlooked when they are actually extreemly useful, while i wouldent personally use it as a substitute for a return, i would use it for phos and carbon filtration, or the administration of floss to quickly clarify a system after a waterchange or general maintenance, the down side to them is that we tend to get lazy and not service them regularly and we get stuck with nitrate factories and blockages..

but an extreemly useful tool to have..

i have even used them to drive closed loop systems, and am currently doing a little hobbyist project for a friend where he will need 2 to drive his cls..

Last edited: 29 Mar 2012
  6. 2balive

2balive

I used to use a canister filter to drive my chiller, works especially well in a nano as it takes less presios space inside the back filter area.

Think the big debate is what to put into it? I had LR in mine, but think the flow is to high to allow for denitrification.

Would put Chemipure, Purigen, phosphate remover or even one of the new denitrification medias that likes high flow into it next time.

Also would put is soemthing to mechanically filter the water in the intake, it is a mission to clean and open the filter every few days.

PS get a self priming one.

Recent Posts