Replacing purigen and activated carbon

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by Sledge, 17 Apr 2014.

1. Sledge

Sledge

I have a 28 gallon nano cube that has been going well for about 6 weeks. I slowly added new stuff once a week over the last 6 weeks. I now have 20ish lbs of live rock, 2 yellow tail blue damsels, 2 peppermint shrimp, 3 nassarius snails, 4 trochus snails, 2 astrea snails, 7 blue leg hermits, and 1 branching frogspawn.

I use purigen, activated carbon, and phosguard for manual filtration. I think it's about time to change my carbon and purigen. I have not looked at the color of my purigen yet but I know you are supposed to change these two once a month.

I am wondering if it's ok to change both the purigen and carbon at the same time? Or should I stagger changing them by a week or two? My plan was to change both of them and do my first 10% water change all this weekend. Is that too much to change at once? Should I spread it all out?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Should be fine to change them both at the same time, but i dont think both will become exhausted at the same time. Keep an eye on the colour of the purigen and only replenish when needed.

Last edited: 17 Apr 2014
  4. Snoek

Snoek

Purigen (Seachem) can be regenerated by placing it in a 50 50 solution of bleach and RO for a period of 24 hours. Then place it in clean RO with Prime in it for a period of 12 hours. You only need to do this when the Purigen has gone brown.

Last edited: 8 May 2014
  5. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Hi, Im also looking at this option for a nano, any idea how many times Purigen can be regenerated?

6. Snoek

Snoek

Seachem claims it can be done 5 times however I found that it all depends on the system it self. I have recharged it 8 times however I am also running bio cubes that takes the load off it.

Hammerhead likes this.
Recent Posts