Replace half of my substrate with Aragonite?

What should I do regarding substrate

• Replace completly with Aragonite

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Remove half and replace half with Aragonite

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Keep it as is, who needs a buffer anyway

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I'm currently using extremely fine playsand as my substrate. I love the look of this, but can't help but wonder if i'd be better off with Aragonite (for its buffering capacity).

I've included a poll as not sure if I should leave it as is, remove half and top up with aragonite, or remove all and replace completely with aragonite.

Reaction score
You will draw some benefits from doing this, BUT would recommend replacing it all.

Quinton

Smarty-pants Newbie
Reaction score
There's definitely some benefit to Aragonite as opposed to silicon, from all I've read, but it's not the end of the world. If I were setting up a new tank I'd go aragonite. Whether I'd bother pulling everything out of an existing tank to change it, I doubt. In your situation I'd probably wait until I had another reason to take everything out of the tank (like for instance I'm gonna have to get this bloody regal tang out into my big tank soon, and there's no ways I'm gonna catch him in anything but an empty tank :().

Reaction score
so half playsand half aragonite isn't worth it?

Reaction score
Sunburst: Half arag half playsand??

Pls vote guys ;)

Reaction score
Delicate subject dude as i know this stuff costs a fortune. However, if i were typing this response sitting in a lake of acid i would say without question.

Reaction score
lol. Well being a student I thought a mate and I could buy a bag and split it. So if I could just mix it with my substrate it would be ideal. Would this still work as effectively

Reaction score
IMO I would layer the aragonite on the surface as any acids created in the lower regions would need to percolate through the calcium.

Reaction score
sunburst: only have a thin layer of substrate at the moment (+- 2cm)

Reaction score
Matt, i believe the buffering criteria is really only applicable to DSB set ups where the pH in the lower regions of the sand bed can drop below 7. In a shallow sandbed this will not happen; in which case, i would be more prone to go the fine play sand route.

Reaction score
aah interesting I didnt know that! sunburst: you might've just saved me R200 ! :)

Reaction score
the ph in the bottom of dsb is between 6 - 6.8, that is where the buffer comes into play, but not that much.( you still need to add calcium and bicarb)
am i right?