repairs to electric cable

Reaction score
Hi there
3 of my powerhead cable got damaged,can I repair it.
The damaged section is closer to the unit side that goes in the water.
Thank you

Can you post a picture...? Logic tells me you can, especially if it can't get any water on it...splashing or otherwise..:blush:..but to be on the safe side...don't just take my word for it..:blush:

When I join two sections of wire underwater I enclose it in a vinyl tube filled with silicone as a waterproof sleeve. I don't have a pic handy, unfortunately.

Just join them up with a Extend-O-Cord(epoxy joint) available at hardware stores and electrical suppliers.

Last edited:
If that part of the cable goes under the water or within 1 foot of the water, Please replace the pump! its REALLY not worth taking a chance.

just make sure that you got proper shoes on.
And do not touch the water when you switch the pumps on after your repair job.
Then test the stray voltage in your tank. Simplest method, take big standard South African 3 prong wall plug. Only put one strand wire in it on the earth. DO NOT connect any live or neutral wires. In fact, do not even have any extra strands. End of wire coming out, clear a short piece. Plug it in at an earthed outlet. Connect your multi tester set on 220V or higher. One clamped to the wire from the plug. The other, just drop it in your tank.

Check for any reading.

Switch on the repaired pump, check again for any reading.

Only after you tested it, and you are sure that none of the repaired joints are leaking voltage. Then only can your job be marked off as completed. And only then can you have a beer.

Do not allow any kids or anybody else close to the tank, until you know all the repaired jobs are tested to be OK. And do not be barefoot. Ensure area around tank stay dry. A few drops of water, you stand in it, and the current just flows better.

Lastly, be sure that these pumps do not detach by themselves and can not wind themselves up in the future. Especially suction cups that fail and the pump ends up dangling around, winding itself up, damaging the wire where it enter the pump and also in your case where you got the joint.

If it is cheap pumps (example Sun Sun) rather get others.

Back
Top Bottom