Repairing Skimmer impeller shaft

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Jones, 16 Apr 2018.

1. Jones

Jones

The impeller shaft on my Innovative Marine Skimmate broke.
    It broke quite close to where it joins the pump. The skimmer still works but is extremely noisy and doubt the impeller would last rattling like that.
    AlJAH57.jpg
    8Lnk1zN.jpg

Is it at all possible to repair it?
    The shaft looks like it has been molded into the pump.

I was thinking of maybe grinding down the piece that is left and gluing the remaining shaft in with pratley steel or epoxy.
    Might be tricky to keep straight, maybe using a dowel with a hole that will keep the shaft straight.
    3BENPDP.jpg

Not sure if the whole pump could be replaced with some other brand?

Open to any ideas or suggestions

2. Guest

3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If you keep on running it, the magnet will destroy the inner plastic of the pump, exposing the copper within and then shock the living daylights out of you.

Looks like a stainless steel shaft. If you cannot find replacement shaft and magnet, then replace the pump altogether.

4. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish Moderator

You can always take the impeller shaft around to a few lfs’s and see if any stock replacement parts for similar size pumps, might be able to find a replacement ceramic one that fits other pumps. What is length of total shaft? I have a few old broken pumps here that are not working I am going to throw out,maybe a similar size shaft somewhere.

Jones likes this.
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

10 or more years ago, I had a similar issue on a fountain pump. I used those copper / brass shaft thingy that connects the toilet handle to the flush mechanism. Cut to length and the thickness was just right.

Yeah, I know, the copper will not really work that great in our tanks. But you might find a stainless steel rod that can be used.

Jones likes this.
  6. Whaleshark

Whaleshark

Maybe a stainless welding rod .take the stuff off. Maybe the right size

Jones likes this.
  7. OP
    Jones

Jones

Thanks. Will try that and take it passed my dad this week to get a measurement, I only have a ruler. One problem is that the shaft is molded into the pump itself. My dad does stainless steel fabrication so he might have a solution too.

Trying all avenues for now, can't afford a new pump at the moment

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

tricly one, unless you get the piece out im affraid a replacement would be your best option, remember these impellors are encased in an area with very little clearances between running and static parts, im quite specific about keeping these parts well cleaned and away from soluds as even a small calcium based shell can cause wear into the impellor or stator part of the pump..

shafts are machined parts perfectly sized against wear you could routour out the broken piece and attempt to have an insert gromet with a new shaft inserted and glued.. that would be my choice, infact i have had it performed on an eheim pump before by a friend of mine who is a fitter and turner as that shaft must be 100% centre

Jones likes this.
  9. OP
    Jones

Jones

Thanks for the advice, I think I get what you are saying.
    I might try this:
    Have a new shaft with a flat base, the size of the impeller chamber, machined out of stainless steel and try glue it in.
    RxJmWwi.jpg

10. 2una

2una

If your going to go to all that trouble try use 316 stainless as anything else is just going to rust & add metals to your water,if you get problems with corals closing up etc right there what your trying to fix might be the issue(steel shafts) Ceramic shafts help stop that problem.

Jones likes this.

Recent Posts