Removing Sand Bed

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Ross, 2 Jul 2010.

1. Ross

Ross

Howdy Guys

I have play sand for my sand bed in the display tank.
    It is to fine and there is always some in the water column and I am sure it is grinding my impellers to bits.

I am going to start changing over to Argenite by doing about a 1/4 to 1/3 of the tank at a time. Was just wondering how long I should wait between changes.....

Ross

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. PoPe_G

PoPe_G

Not an expert but imo about 20% per week.

4. Ross

Ross Thread Starter

Oh that quickly, I expected to hear like 2 months or so... sweet will take it slow.
    Wonder if I get Argenite, quite fin, if I can still have Sand Sifters....

5. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

go Bare bottom. U will like it Smooth

6. Ross

Ross Thread Starter

Been thinking about that, bust wondering about sand sifters..... I have PVC on the bottom. Also what about the filter effect from loosing the sand and could I just take it all out in one go.

7. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Nooo a little at a time. as you do it a little at a time the other forms of filtration will catch up due to the fact that you are losing the sand. I am going BB on my tank with hectic flow. No need to worry about sand or anything else blowing around. plus easier to maintain IME

8. Ross

Ross Thread Starter

Ok decided to take the play sand out for sure. It is driving me nuts and spoiling my tank.
    Will be going arganite and not BB (wife's input)

Trying to figure out what will be the best and least messy way to remove the sand. On the weekend I will try suck some up when I do my water change. Any other ides apart from digging it out and making a huge mess?

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Ross - why would you want to change the play-sand? Why is it "driving you nuts"?

10. Ross

Ross Thread Starter

Jacquwsb, there are constantly small grains of the sand in the water column. I just can not get it to settle no matter what I do.

At the moment I am trying to give my pumps a break from the sand paper effect, and have not raked it this week. There are now little bubbles on the sand and when the float up and pop they drop a few grains of sand into the water column.

I will see if I can get a pic to show what I mean about the water column.

11. jacquesb

What power-heads do you have Ross, and how are you pointing them?

12. jacquesb

BTW: W.r.t then bubbles - you WILL NOT get away from them, by using aragonite... BTW ;)

13. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

I had the seachem Miridian sand ( very white ,very fine and very nice ) and my sand sifter did a great job in keeping it clean.

I dont know how thick your layer is , but if taking it out bit by bit , i whould use a 25mm pipe and syphen it out, but not top layer first, but rather syphen a patch clean to the glass so you dont leave anaerobic bacteria near the surface with good water flow over it to die off and cause more ammonia than nessesery.

Ive used bare bace tanks before, works well, but doesnt look very natural, so for display purpose , miridian sand or slightly coarser one ( cant remember name, but can find out if you want )

if you have a problem with powerheads tilting and blowing sand arround, look at the magnet holders for the sun sun pumps ( R140.00) and Pratlys it to your pumps bracket, it helped me sleep peacefully.

P.S Daro is bringing the "generic" magnet holders out soon, they might be cheaper for these mods.
    Warning !!!
    I broke one of these magnets today & inside the nice plastic cover was the magnet with some water on it, so before you put it in the tank, use a littlle sillicone and push it into th thin "join" of the two plastic sides.

mayby you arent finiky about these things but ive had bad algea problems with pieces of iron rusting in the tank.:(

14. Ross

Ross Thread Starter

I have 2 x VorTech MP-40s. They point horizontally into the tank.
    I have tried moving them up and down and side to side no luck.
    I have them set at about half power and can not use some of the programs as they make to much mess :(

15. Ross

Ross Thread Starter

But they should not be able to pick up the grains and drop them back into the water column.

16. jacquesb

HHmmmmm - ok - unfortunately the Vortech's cannot be "pointed" upwards (that's most likely why I will never buy them).... so - you do indeed have a "problem". BUT, that said - why don't you scape your rock in such a way, that the rock offers an interference to the Vortech's stream, that the flow is not that strong anymore?

This would be a LOT easier to do, than changing your substrate completely!?!?!?

17. Ross

Ross Thread Starter

yeah wold like to replace them as my Profilux has a built in controller for Tunze, but i have to much invested in them now.

Not sure changing my rock will work. I had a very clear idea of my scaping and I am very minimalism on the rock.... :(

Maybe before I start taking my sand out, I should try some other options, see if I can put a small deflector plate the VorTech or maybe try them opposite each other, then the current will come together behind my rock..... mmmmmm

Tried a picture, does not show anything. Did a vid and uploaded to YouTube but it is not showing up yet.

18. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

if u gona do substrate get see floor grade agaronite its what sunny x uses and he has much more flow then u in a smaller tank thats what i would suggest plus its readily avail

19. jacquesb

Using "deflector plates" or something like that Ross, could be a GREAT idea.... perhaps use some acrylic pieces that has a 90 degree bend, which you can stick to the glass pane below the Vortech's? I really cannot see why you would want to spend +-R1000 on substrate to replace something that is perfectably workable?

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If the Vortex pumps picks up sand, will it not be worst on even finer aragonite?

The sand is bigger particles, and therefor should be heavier. Maybe the problem is that the sand needs another wash, to get rid of lighter parts in it. I will rather syphon 20% out per week, and wash that again. Properly. And with strong water flow, overflowing the bin so that lighter particles gets lifted and get a change to spill over and away.
    Then put that back.

Anyway cheaper than aragonite.

21. Adee

Adee

In my display, I use crushed coral sand 2-3mm particles with a depth of about 5-6cm. With Tunze's mounted on the opposite side of my 2m tank....I get lots of disturbance in the middle of the tank when running at above 60%. While it moves the sand, it does not end up in suspension. Using any sand that is Oolitic (0.5mm or smaller grains) in texture, would give you the problem you having.

BTW I have close to 90 kilos (18cm depth) of play sand in my DSB sump. does a good job of keeping nitrates in check. So if u removing your DSB out of your DT, keep an eye on Nitrates...as u will lose out on a good nitrate reducer.

Another question, what is the depth of the sand in your display?

Recent Posts