Removing Powerheads

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by JD167, 26 Mar 2010.

1. JD167

JD167

Hi guys

I'm thinking of removing all my powerheads for 1.) Heat reduction 2.) Saving power and 3) Be Nennie safe.

I want to replace the powerheads with returns similar to a CLS system, except the water will be returned from the sump's last chamber. Still normal route of water down overflow, through sump and back up again, but I'll add more return pipes with ballvalves to control and direct water flow.

What return pump do I use? I currently have a 3000L/hour pump but that is not enough for what I want to do here. So the question is do I use one larger pump(5000L/hour or more maybe?) or two smaller ones (3000L/hour)??

I have a 1500mmx600x600, 540L DT and I suppose another 150L in sump. Overflow pipe is 50mm.

Any ideas?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

the only problem is that you will reduce contact time of the water with your filter media, the flow through the sump is going to be much faster

4. FransSny

FransSny

Two pumps are better than one...if one fails the other works.

What is the height it would have to pump JD, you would have to calculate headloss to reach the flow amount required. Also remember the outlets furthest away has less flow..so valves etc.

Ask Jaco Schoeman, he did a very effective one (just moerse expensive) , I think Riaan P has also put a lot of research into this)

5. JD167

JD167 Thread Starter

Agreed, but that would depend on the amount of flow I allow to the DT. This can be adjusted with ballvalves, but yes a valid point.

I had a look at both threads yea. Two pumps seem to be the logical choice for backup puposes. One would be ideal though if possible. Suppose I need to work out flow requirements first before deciding on which pumps to use. Only then can I compare power consumption for 2 smaller pumps vs one larger one.

Frans, the height would be about 1.7m from sump to top of DT.

6. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

JD, another you can do is to split the overflow line, one line going into normal first chamber of sump with ball valve and then the other line goes directly to the return chamber with ball valve, this would almost be like a closed loop and you will get, the you can just throttle the valves to get the correct split in flow (if that makes sense). Then you can have the 3000lph going through your sump from original return pump, and for example have the other 5000lph feed directly back into the return chamber, where it gets pumped directly back to tank.

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

This does not make sense. You are removing pumps from the tank for heat reasons but you now want to add pumps to the sump. two big beasts nogall. IMO it is closed loop or nennie safe your existing pumps.

8. FransSny

FransSny

JD , I came up with an idea while driving back today, wil e-mail you tomorrow

9. chikaboo

chikaboo

Just to go a little sideways on this topic - I hear of members wanting to use pool pumps then get blown with a question like.... wont the pumps rust? May I be bold enough to ask what "pool pumps" pool owners use who dont use chlorine but salt and a chlorinator ... cant we use these pumps?

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Chika - I used a Speck swimming pool/pond pump very successfully. Except for the fact that the "autopriming function" stopped working.... Thus - I am not using this pump at this stage anymore.

11. JD167

JD167 Thread Starter

Jacques, what does the autopriming function do?

12. JD167

JD167 Thread Starter

NJ, That was one of the concerns I had. Is it worth it? I currently have 4 Seio poweheads, 3 Resun units and another unit I can't recall the name of now in the DT.

Cool thanks Frans. Looking forward to it.

That would be a option, I'm just a little worried about water bypassing the skimmer and DSB then.

13. FransSny

FransSny

JD the pump has a chamber which will automaticcaly create a vacuum to discharge any trapped air.....thus stopping the pump from "running dry" ....nutshell version :p

14. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

LOL - cool! Thanks Frans!

JD - another "version": as the Speck pump is an external pump, it "sucks" water from the inlet. To ensure that air does not cause problems, when "sucking water" - the "auto-priming" function allows a small amount of air to enter the system, without the pump "running dry"....

Mine does not do this anymore, for some stupid reason. And I don't know why.

My Speck is a 400 watt pump - pumping at +-28000 litres per hour......

15. Anemone

Anemone

Removing powerheads does not guarantee anemone safety. You still have to cover all intakes. Anemones can end up in a sump, or get shredded by a CLS.

16. JD167

JD167 Thread Starter

Hi Anemone. That's true. I think my corner overflow is safe in the sense that the edges have eggcrate on as well as a square piece of eggcrate inside the overflow box on top of the pipe. It won't get through. Although... I have learned never to say never. :p

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Powerheads, OK I do not know what you have, but let us take SunSun for example.
    Take the 5000l/h. If you got 2, that is 10000l/h
    To replace one 5000 powerhead you at least need one 6000l/h return pump. Taking a loss of 1000 due to height lift and back pressure on elbows.

You want heat reduced, in tank, but extra heat in sump = no gain. Actually I think a heat increase. The powerheads are less than 10W. 6000l/H returns at least 65W. SO more power, and I'm sure more heat.

Extra 12000L/h water through your sump. Not sure either what size tank you have. But even if you have a 500L display, that means a turnover rate of 24 time through your sump. That is more that some guys have in their softy setups. No DSB, all blown away most likely. No detritus settlement ontop of DSB, Unless you have one seriously wide DSB that can handle that flow. Like 3 to 4 meters front to back.

Also outlets must be just under water surface, or your syphone breaks must be excelent. All the water flow will be in the top part of the tank, with little or even no flow at the bottom. And your overflow skim the top. So any detritus will easily settle in your display. Well I can almost guarantee that the water movement 1cm above the sand will be more in the sump that the display.

Nope, combining a CLS with a normal sump setup, does not work in my opinion.
    They are different things.

Rather have a dedicated REAL CLS setup. Suck water out from lower down with a strainer or suitable method to prevent an anemone to be sucked in. And on a closed loop, the outlets can be lower. No risk of flooding, no syphon breaks. No head loss due to water height lift. Only because of elbows.

Look at my thread, I got 2 Super Dart pumps. 13600l/h each. 3 Outlets on each. With bottom outlet closed I reckon I got 6000l/h flow exiting the 32mm pipe. I compared the feel of the water with a 5000l/h Boyo powerhead. And it is stronger. With bottom valve open, the flow is a lot less than the Boyo. More like my 3000l/h SunSun powerhead. My CLS inlet, I must have one hell of a big carpet anemone to close up a 1m strainer. There are 200 6mm holes. And the suction per hole is so low, you can hardly feel it.
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=14665

18. Anemone

Anemone

If the force is strong enough, they will get through just about anything. I've seen anemones get injured from a powerhead that was covered by a sponge. The anemone attached itself to the sponge, and its body was damaged by the suction going through the sponge. The best thing to do is minimize the suction by spreading it out over a wider area.

Recent Posts