Removing MH UV shield

Mekaeel

Reaction score
hi there crew.what are the disadvantages of removing the UV glass/shield from my 150W DE MH fittings other than water messing it up.
thanks

Mekaeel i tried this, and i seriously do not recommend it. I sent most of my live stock into light shock and seriously burnt some of my corals with in half an hour. Rather look at ways of improving the reflectors in the fittings.

by standard you mean downlighter?

if it is dude dont waste your time, either build or buy a decent reflector

No way to modify the reflector, easy enough to make one.

yeah thats the downlighter made to be used in shop windows!!

Leave the original fitting and change the reflector inside.

Same fittings i use, i managed to find reflector material and then made my own.

I managed to get from my wholesaler, will check if i have any left.

But what if the MH's are already UV shielded like the Ventures, you can run those without the glass, it's the ones like BLV that do not have built in UV shielding. I think.

I'm fairly sure that all double ended bulbs need protection, and single ended, for some reason are protected.

All SE bulbs I've ever used have been fine with no glass, but on the one occasion that the glass broke it fried the tanks occupants, even the LR went grey.

But what if the MH's are already UV shielded like the Ventures, you can run those without the glass, it's the ones like BLV that do not have built in UV shielding. I think.
Dean i dont know about the built in UV shield, i think it may have a alot to do with the par ratings.

Back
Top Bottom