Removing glass stains

Reaction score
I was given a great tank and stand and looking forward to building the tank up to a pristine show tank, but there is one problem. One of the sides has light white stains on the glass that I cannot remove. Tried everything, baking soda, vinegar and the works.
Any help/advice will be appreciated.

It can be applied by hand, like polishing a silver trophy or silverware. But it will take some time. Best is a buff on a drill.

Most tool and or glass suppliers sell. I get mine from Bohle, Glass Specific, or THT in JHB.

It is sometimes far more economical to just replace the panel of glass. Polishing can take many hours.
You will need to consider a "effort on polishing" to replacement cost justification.

Last edited:
From a business point of view, I would just replace the glass. But for you, if you have the time and patients, then polishing would definitely be cost effective.

Do you have access to a power washer? When I bought my tank it too had white staining in my case old dead coralline algae. I even tried goo gone. Then I thought hey what about my power washer. So outside again with my tank and well it took a lot of time but it did the trick. Just make sure you don't get too close to the silicone. You can try this if you or a friend has a power washer before trying the glass polish. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom