Removing fish on scuba?

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by NitroNarcer, 22 Jun 2013.

1. NitroNarcer

NitroNarcer

Hi All

We have been diving new spots in Cape Town the last month or so and I have been seeing the most beautiful nudibranchs, anemones, urchins and even octopus. I was considering setting up a small cold water tank to accommodate a few nudi's, urchins, etc.

Now this is where it gets confusing, I have read in previous posts that you are not able to collect marine aquarium fish with scuba but then again it mentions that you can.

Can someone please clear this up for me? I do not want to collect anything that will land me in trouble.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

go and read your permit.

Can use scuba gear for collecting fish for marine tank. Not allowed scuba gear when spearfishing.

4. NitroNarcer

NitroNarcer Thread Starter

I have one for marine aquarium fish and one for recreational scuba diving. It doesn't mention it in marine aquarium fish but it does say that recreational scuba will not remove, disturb or harass any marine organism. So I take if I collect I just follow the rules under my marine aquarium fish permit.

5. JazzeD

JazzeD

The Scuba diving permit is for diving on the marine protected side of cape town around Millers Point. So on that side you are not allowed to take out anything.

On the Atlantic side as it is called the cold side, you can dive without a scuba permit and can then take out creatures for a marine tank if you have a permit to remove.

How this helps to understand.

6. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Diving around cape town is amazing, the colors are so vivid which you wouldnt expect for coldwater!!

Removing animals is allowed but remember that around the cape is the cold side, but not only cold, several parameters make the water chemistry.....special, and very difficult to reproduce in an aquarium situation, make sure you know what you are taking out and what conditions it requires. :thumbup:

Recent Posts