Removing DSB, whats the best way?

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by magman, 27 Aug 2010.

1. magman

magman

Hi guys, I want to remove my DSB, but am worried that it may crash the tank, the DSB alone is over 3 foot, and is about 17cm's deep, so a boat load of sand. I don't know if I should remove say a cup full a day, or start on one side and remove say 5-10cms.

Should I maybe just remove bit by bit?

Is what worries me, is when the anearobic bacteria comes into contact with oxygen, sulpher etc.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

What I would do is take the whole sump offline.

Switch off your return pump and all other equipment in the sump, put heaters in the display tank, keep your pumps in the display tank going.

Remove entire DSB and remove all water from the sump.

Replace with fresh salt water, bring sump back online.

That way you run zero risk of any problems plus your tank get's a nice waterchange.

4. magman

magman Thread Starter

I was hoping that would be one of the options, I am going to go the zeo route and LR in the sump now, I got some great local macro that grows on the LR.

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

It's the easiest way, just make sure you remove all the water from the sump to prevent contamination, and make sure new water in sump is warmed up before switching your return pump on.

Is macro algae recommended for a zeo system, I can't remember?

Last edited: 27 Aug 2010
  6. Broder

Broder Mudshark

I would definitely do it the way Dean suggested. Just remember that you'll have a lot less aerobic (nitrifying) bacteria as you remove a large percentage of surface area that was previously colonised by them. Maybe reduce feeding and increase waterchanges to off-set this, until the bio filtration adapts or you start with the zeolites.

Why are you wanting to change?

7. SIMS

SIMS

agrred with Dean's advice. Its the ONLY way

8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Nope, not recommended.

9. magman

magman Thread Starter

I regret going DSB, my sump is 4 foot, and I am going to have a nice 1st chamber for reactors etc, and skimmer, second LR with some nice local macro, and third more LR around the return, IMO I just think the DSB is doing nothing after 1.5 yrs. I would rather put thick pieces of LR that will have the anerobic inside,

Thanks bud

Have you done your homework?

10. Manic

Manic Moderator

May I ask why you want to go the zeo route. It is a lot of hard work that often ends in a few dead corals along the way. If you want to remove the sand bed, I would suggest adding the zeo reactor first and waiting a week or two for the zeo stones to colonise bacteria before removing the sand bed.

11. Manic

Manic Moderator

Mekaeel is correct, macro algae will just die off in a zeo system and that is why it is not recommended, neither is a phosphate remover.

12. magman

magman Thread Starter

I'm not going the zeo route anymore, my first dibs is LR as filtration, and macro as exportation. I am thinking of a flow bin now, with a 3ft tank inside (to have a constant water level for skimmer), 1st chamber filtatrtion media (removable batting/filter sock, second skimmer, then into the flowbin, under which will be LR and a few small pumps for circulation, phos and carbon reactors, and cheato and this local stuff I got.

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If you say your DSB is doing nothing after 1.5 years, had you ever checked it out under a microscope?

And do you re-seed your DSB at about 3 times a year? Just a cup of sand from another reefers DSB. It is a closed system, and live in there is competing in a very limited space. A few liveforms can easily become dominant and outcompete the others. So after a while your diversity tumbles.

Mine also look like nothing much is happening. But just take a small pump and blow gently across one spot so that the top 5mm sand gets blown away. And I see lots of worm tubes. BTW, reminder to myself, I have to do mine again.

14. magman

magman Thread Starter

I been seeding my DSB with fresh LR every 2-3months, think there is much more diversity or life in fresh LR.

Recent Posts