Remove the bioballs and ceramics from my nano and replace with LR rubble?

Reaction score
I've read that many people remove the bioballs and ceramics from the middle chamber of their nano cube's and replace them with LR rubble. The reason for this is that they say the ceramics and bioballs etc can quickly turn into nitrate factories..

What is your opinion on this?
Would live rubble be more beneficial? Who runs what setups in their nano cubes?

the way that nano is set up it would also trap detritus, i would run no filter media. Maybe some filterfloss (to be replaced twice a week) also maybe Carbon in a stocking.

Rely on your Rock in the tank and water changes as your filtration, if I recall you dont have a skimmer in there?

Doesn't come with a skimmer, I could purchase one if it is advised?

Doesn't come with a skimmer, I could purchase one if it is advised?

Always nice to have. I reckon the big question is how diligent will you be with water changes?

Its not a Must have in a Nano, but I would get one.

Great thanks for the advice... I'd rather err on the side of caution so i'll probably get one... Are they quite expensive?

you can get a nice one for your system for R1500 or so

A TS1 would be nice but needs to be run in sump

Hi Matt/Kanga. Henk just bought himself the nano skimmer a ReefTek BH100 (I think). I am not too sure but I think it should be cheaper than R1500....

Matt - contact Andrew at Eco Aquatics for this. Post a request in his sponsor forum.

Is it one of these?

Octopus News

Clinton thats not the one Jacques is talking about but seems nifty, they had a nano skimmer out some time back that was not great, I know viper tried one, they were R180 or so.

I'm going to say something that might be slightly controversial, but with a nano, especially skimmerless, ceramics or bioballs, (as long as they are kept free from clogging up by using a prefilter) might be useful.

People must take the term Nitrate factory in context. Its only a nitrate factory because of the highly efficient way that these substrates break Amonia and nitrites into nitrates.

As nano tanks are usually even more stocked than bigger ones, and as any fatality or change in perameters is felt that much more intensely in a nano system due to the concentration of everything, the usefullness of a highly efficient detroyer of ammonia and nitite should possibly be considered.

Added to this is the fact that with a nano a 25% waterchange (or more) could be done weekly with little effect on your bank balance or your back, thus removing any buildup of nitrates.

Your nano system could be safer and better off with bioballs than without them.

Agree with your response 100%, but wouldn't live rock rubble also function in the same way as bioballs/ceramic noodles, with the added benefit (depending on rubble size) of also reducing nitrates?

skimmer or not

i dont understand the logic of not having a skimmer on a nano, it would be like saying that you dont need a skimmer on a bigger tank cos it has more water. the nano system has a lot of demands placed on such a little system and i would say if possible that it needs a skimmer more than a bigger setup that can hold more liverock etc.

i dont understand the logic of not having a skimmer on a nano, it would be like saying that you dont need a skimmer on a bigger tank cos it has more water. the nano system has a lot of demands placed on such a little system and i would say if possible that it needs a skimmer more than a bigger setup that can hold more liverock etc.

I think Rob summed it up well when he mentioned less strain on back and bank balance.

25% water change for me a week would be about 180 litres. So around R200 worth of salt, and a lot of time, hassle and pain.

Would leave me no money or time to actually enjoy my tank.

If you did 25-30%% water changes weekly on any sized tank you probably wouldn't need a skimmer anyway.

the simple reason is you can do a 25% + waterchange weekly with little effort or cost as Bob said.

Do that on a 2000L system? you going to be a very strong, fit and poor person:p

But If it was Me, I would get one.

without trying to be or sound obtuse , a 25 percent waterchange on any tank changes so many variables , wouldnt it shock your spses etc at all if you did it once a week

without trying to be or sound obtuse , a 25 percent waterchange on any tank changes so many variables , wouldnt it shock your spses etc at all if you did it once a week

I don't think so, it would be more a case of keeping things constant than changing them (need to ensure obviously that temeprature and salinity match closely)

I did about a 20% water change on my tank (700 litre) this weekend and it is looking a lot better than it has for a long time.

I nhave always said to bigger waterchanges is not good for a system, but the fact remains if you do it often enough, i.e. every week your parameter should stay reasonably constant. Rather than doing 50% every 2 months, where the change in water parameters would be much bigger

Also in the states and here there are several bigger systems running without skimmers, but that a completely different way of doing things

Back
Top Bottom