Removal of Aiptasia infestation! any ideas?

leslie hempel

Professional Aquarist
Reaction score
Im so bummed , almost all the coral i asked my brother in law to keep has been swarmed with aptasia..

either way i need to help him get out of this situation and your thoughts and advice are needed..

Options that i am considering

A)totally drying out all the LR washing and seeding with new (the tank would be pulled down scrubbed and re aquascaped aswell)
B) exposing the LR to ultraviolet light and see if it wont cause some die back.. removing the fish will be the problem and nor all aptasia will be illuminated by the UV light..

Joes Juice/ lemon juice / and pratleys putty are not an option. the tank is too badly infested...

advice?

not the vinegar if you got mushrooms!!!

get a copperband dude it'll definitely start eating away at them....

copper band and peppermint shrimp are in an ineffective..

291120081326.jpg

Temporarely trade the 3 YT's for 3 CB's - maybe you lucky?

the yellow are mine coming out soon but the only coral i could salvage was a piece of plating monty...

I should lend you my copperband. He/she will devour all aiptasia within 2 weeks. The only effective way I know against aiptasia is copperbands or racoons butterflies

I've probably nuked about 100 in the last month with Joes, it does work but a pain in the arse.

will pass the comment on.. i scaped the right he scaped the left... have a few cinder bricks in as base rock.. all covered in corraline....and aptasia....

i like the right more! but it looks balanced with the right hand side having a bit more height,it seems like you and your brother in law work nicely as a team;)

ja we do get along well.. i scrape and syphon and he sucks on the pipe to get the syphon goingand takes the buckets out.. its a match made in heavan ;)

well im giving him the mushrooms back.. super upset as i know have to start over with all my coral purchases again...

I use KALK to kill mine. It really works well.
I am convinced it is the same as joe's juice!

in my limited experience of havinga CBB that fed on aptasia they dont eat to kill, the aptasia just slip back deep into their hole and come back at you a few weeks later:(

Back
Top Bottom