Reliability- RO ATO unit.

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by yster, 31 Mar 2013.

1. yster

yster

How reliable is this excatly? I just watched the unit on my tank switch on and just continue to pump and didn't swith off. A good thing I was in the same room or some bad things would have happend! About 2 weeks max in the sump and already giving trouble.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chas84

chas84

Which unit have you got? I installed a Reef Octopus unit in November last year, and about three weeks ago it got stuck for the first time. I removed the little plastic "bottle" and (touch wood) it hasn't gotten stuck again. I think an air pocket or bubble might have caused it to get stuck.

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I've had two of them fail before. The one episode resulted in 25 liters of ro getting pumped into my tank!
    You can attach a second float switch so that if one switch fails, the other should prevent disaster.

5. chas84

chas84

Were the little "bottles" in place in both your incidents?

6. yster

yster Thread Starter

How do one go about attaching another floatswitch to the unit?

The bottle is still on the unit @chas84. Do you just screw the bottom part off and use it like that?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Hi bud, i have double float switches on all my ato's and i have had switches stuck three times, & everytime the backup switch saved the day.
    It is very simple to wire in with your current one.
    You simply connect it in serie with the current switch, & then mount it a bit higher than the main one in the "normally closed" position. (The switch needs to be ON until the water pushes it up.)
    I mount mine about 50mm higher so i can see if the main one has failed & the water level is higher than its supposed to be.
    Hope it helps. If you need a wiring diagram, i will draw you one tomorrow. It really is very very easy!

8. yster

yster Thread Starter

Thanks @Visser, sounds real easy. Now for the next question... Where to get the float switches?

9. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Acdc dynamics in midrand (jhb) or switches.co.za in randburg. You can order from acdc dynamics. Will see if i can get the part number of the switches i used. They cost about R80 each, but its worth the money every time you avert a flood, lol.

10. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

I dont know if any other electrical suppliers has them, but none of the others could help me last year when i wanted switches. Perhaps some of the other guys can indicate if there is anything closer to kroonstad for you...

11. chas84

chas84

Yip I just screwed the bottom part off.

12. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

I still believe in the Tunze auto top up system!
    I sleep at ease and don't stress when Im on holiday.

They are expensive, but worth the pice of mind.

13. yster

yster Thread Starter

That would be appreciated @Visser. If not closer to me then I'm sure the guys in jhb would ship? I'm going to need switches for two ATOs.

If I knew beforehand that RO switches is this prone to failure then I would surely have saved up a bit for a tunze! Done some reading and A LOT of RO switch failures did come up. But for now I have to stick with what I got and try to save myself some serious flooding and sleepless nights!

Anyway thanks for the help guys!

14. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Just be careful when you remove the bottle that covers the switch, it is more likely to get a snail stuck in there and also causing flooding.

15. Bendor

Bendor

16. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

[​IMG]
    Here is a diagram for a ATO with 2 float switches. (only change the 120V with 230V)
    (P.S. Diagram is from google images...)

17. Falcon

Falcon

I don trust the electrical ones much so what I've done it added a mechanical r.o float switch as security if the sump level rises too much,see if you lfs has them or maybe someone like @thewaterboy can ship one to you has worked great for me over the years.

So in normal running only the electrical one works but if theres a failure then the mechanical one stops too much water from going through and you'll hear the pump crying ;)

Last edited: 2 Apr 2013
  18. yster

yster Thread Starter

Thanks for the diagram @Visser
    @Falcon the problem is when I'm not at home and the ATO fail, Then I'm not there to hear the pump crying:lol:

19. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

@yster . . . Just get the Tunze ATU its the best , i've failed and tried almost every other way to save money but they all failed.

Go with the tunze... spend that +- R1700 and NEVER stess about it again

FINISHED AND KLAR!!! :)

20. Falcon

Falcon

Well a small atu pump is just R100 if it fails so no big huge loss but i have an atman one(costed me R95), it often runs dry for hours when the reservoir needs filling and once when I was not home for a week the pump was constantly running due to floatswitch failure and it did not give up nor was my tank flooded.I would say its pretty reliable in the last two years of using it.

Plus the mechanical float valves are really cheap to boot,no need for expensive atu's with similar level of protection which mostly also rely on electronic fail safes which can also go wrong,having both electrical and mechanical fail safes makes more sense imo.

Do you stress about your toilet cistern overflowing when you're on holiday and the house flooding?

Thats my point its a similar system and is pretty damn reliable :lol:

21. yster

yster Thread Starter

Good point @Falcon. Sounds like a cheap and reliable option. Now to get a sponsor who stock them and ship.

Recent Posts