Regional trends in tanks

herkie

R.I.P.
Reaction score
I was looking at a thread that BlastoM started showing his sister's Jebo setup and thought the coral in the featured tank reminds me of my own. I then realised we are in the same region and this is the probably reason for the similarity. Has any other members noticed something like this before or is my mind playing tricks?

Having no idea what region you I would think that it is due to the fact that LFS's get similar stock in.

But no I dont think within SA there would be a regional difference or similarity other than pure vloek.

I dont think regional differences as much as if you live in an area where the LFS does their own imports other wise they all buy their stock from the same importer.

Maybe this would apply to the people living close to the ocean who collect stuff from the ocean themselves. Btw I live in KZN north coast.

In the past aquarists in Port Elizabeth had a tendency to use single ended MH's in 250W and even in 150W, when most of the rest of SA were in to double ended. This has changed now. I think some regional trends could also be brought about through sharing cuttings and frags. For instance I will have a lot of SPS that will be similar to Kini Bay Reefer as I got most of my SPS from him. Many other aquarists in Port Elizabeth will also have similar corals to him, either from him or from me. A lot of PE aquarists will also have live rock collected from Flat Rocks.
If they catch their own fish in PE then each season has different trends as far as species being caught which will affect what is being put in peoples tanks, many had or have Moorish Idols as there were a lot caught last season, there were also more semi's caught last season than rhomboides. The variety of b/flies also varies with there being fewer lunula caught last season than auriga's and vaggies!

Last edited:
hi there herkie

that tank posted by blastoM is my sisters tank, his girlfriends tank.
some of the corals such as the zoo's are local(natal)

herkie its prob some of the local stuff that it similar , as in ud find some of the same stuff in sean's tank as in yours ... collected at the same place maybe

just to add we recieved a shipment at our local lfs.. i drove to durban to visit a friend the next day and went past northlands to see the exact same shipment and even the exact same sized species for species at northlands..

scary...

Well, to add on Steve's comment - I recon that side of it's true (could call my whole tank Hill's tank - baught it from him).

I have a green mushroom, star polyps, pin cusion, zoa's and an anemony from him, more zoa's from Ptoirs and brain and frogspawn from the PE area, same as in Kanga's tank for instance.

There is some sort of tendancy for regional, however it is mostly (IMHO) due to local catching and frag trading

Apart from livestock, other trends are in equipment and additives used.

Although not regional I think for instance on this forum there a a way higher than average number of people using Reeftek/Reef Octopus Skimmers, due to the fact we all communicate and share our knowledge. A person not belonging to the forum will tend to make a more "random" decison based on what is available from the LFS's in their area.

This also applies to additives. Seachem tends to be quite popular in the Cape, while I would say Tropic Marin is probably the most popular up here in Gauteng. This is also due to what agencies/suppliers the major LFS's deal with.

In terms of regional trends it seems that the coastal reefers in the past were big advocates of NSW. Go figure, we live at the coast.
But that trend seems to have swung towards using synthetic.
I wonder how much of an influence forums such as MASA have had on this.

Or maybe some decent sponsors selling good stock at reasonable prices.

I think the forums have had a huge influence.
The one trend i have noticed from all the yrs on local forums is the quality of the systems has improved and much healthier live stock.

Back
Top Bottom