regal tang

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by jono, 20 Aug 2013.

1. jono

jono MASA Contributor

hi fellow reefers!!!

My regal tang is not herself as she is "lying" down every now and then and at a closer look she has a few small white spots on her. Shes eating and all the other fish seem fine and dont have any spots. Im concerned as i dont like my fish sick and need to sort out urgently. Im away for a day in jhb and kinda stressing. Any ideas what it could be

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jono

jono Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Pics it looks like little bubbles

1377027937650.jpg

1377027970055.jpg

4. Ruberto Frazao

Ruberto Frazao Sponsor

Shes got whitespot... you must treat it as soon as possible before its to late....

5. Ikraam

Ikraam

well at least she is eating looks like something is stressing her

6. Snoek

Snoek

Bud mine did the same and I used herbtana (not sure on spelling) for 10 days and it did the trick. How long have you had the regal and what fish did you add in the last few days? My purple got ich rather bad 3 weeks ago and I ended catching it and putting it in a tank with copper for 2 week. If you go to the extreme of copper make sure not to use it in your display tank. It will kill everything other than the fish.

7. jono

Ive had the regal nearly two years now. I havent put any new fish in nearly two months. She eats like you cannot believe. So i know i cant put copper what else can i as i have a reef tank?

8. jono

I will get one of my mates to help me tomorrow as im away on bussiness

9. jono

Come to think about it she has had a few of these spots on her for ages and a lfs said it was fine and she has been cool just tonyt i noticed the erradic behavour. I mix all the frozen food with garlic gaurd.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That product only entices to eat. It does do nothing directly to the whitespot. The cycle will complete, fish will look healthy. Until the cysts hatch again, re-infecting the fish. If this is the only fish being re-infected it could most likely be that the other fish had build up a partial immunity to
    WS. Unless the regal stops eating, I will just let it be for another 2 months. Hopefully by then the WS you got will be gone. As the regal will effectually also built up an immunity. As long as the regal keeps on eating.

11. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Just keep feeding her, add a vitamin supplement to the feeding regime (will also help the general population) like Dr. Boyds Vitamins or brightwell's Vit C or Vit M, dose the food with Garlic every third day. She will pull through as long as she is eating.

12. Braco

Braco

The dosing of the garlic should do the trick...

13. jono

Thanks guys ill get vits tomorrow need her to be strong as im upgrading my lighting and dont want her to stress and die...
    Shes Family now

14. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

The dosing of garlic everyday can lead to liver damage. That's why rather do it every few days.

15. Drewton

Drewton

Exact same thing happened to my regal when my powder blue got ws. Is she lying down for long periods and breathing rapidly? Or just flashing against the rocks?

16. Drewton

Drewton

Pick up the tank temp to 27 to speed up the cycle as well. Herbtana is really good too.

17. NJH

NJH

Herbtana is a waste of time and money in my experience. If it is feeding and you keep its stress to a minimum it should be fine. Make sure you feed it well and include nori in the diet.

18. jono

My tank runs at 25 degrees, some times she lies flat and some times she acts all shy. I asked the wife how she is doing and she said seems alittle better today. Tomorrow ill get some fresh nori and ill feed like i nomaly do which is one day flakes then pellets then frozen mixed with garlic gaurd, then reef paste which she almost takes my fingers off to get to and then i repeat the cycle.

Recent Posts