Regal tang

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by craig redfern, 22 Sep 2012.

1. craig redfern

craig redfern

Hi just purchased my first regal tang its been in my tank for 4 days my concern is that it just stays in one place all the time between my live rock rarely venturing out, there are no white spots on it and it looks healthy i have seen it eating off the rocks once or twice. Is this normal?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

What other fish do you have in the tank?
    Fish can sometimes be shy when first introduced and may take a while to get used to their new surroundings. As long as its eating and looks healthy, I wouldn't be too concerned.

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I agree with David. Give him a few days

5. Jayceew

Jayceew

Also make sure there is algae for it to eat once it comes out, some tangs only want to eat nori those first couple of days.

6. crispin

crispin

Congrats on your purchase, Regals are lovely fish. Did you get a yellow bellied Regal or the plain blue?

so long as the fish is eating and shows no signs of stress just leave him to settle in. Some fish take weeks to start expoloring the tank and I'm sure yours will come out soon:)

7. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Not sure as to what other fish you have in your tank,but from what I noticed they hide more if there ain't other similar sized tangs to swim around with....they sometimes need a "leader" to get them going telling them that its really fine to swim around....

8. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

I would definately advise putting in some garlic enriched Nori for your fish to eat. My first Regal developed some serious white spot for the first month in my tank. All I know is that he got fed the Nori at least once every two days and he never got white spot again :thumbup:

If you were wondering Garlic supplies Vitamin C ;)

9. craig redfern

craig redfern Thread Starter

thanks for all the advise im really glad we have a site like this where you get loads of tips especially when you a beginner.

10. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

11. durleo

durleo

I dont think Garlic supplies the Vitamin C - It has an active ingredient that helps boost the immune system , it also stimulates the appetite. Lemon juice will add Vitamin C and Spirulina and Beta Gluten are also good to add to the food for boosting immune system

12. Fred d

Fred d

Best you can do is to keep your new arrival's immune system up by feeding foods with vitamin C and spirulina and garlic is also a great way of maintaining great health .

13. devesh.r

devesh.r

Hey man, I also got a regal a 2 months back, and it did the very same for first few days. I put bit of green nori with garlic on a pice of rock next to it and few mins after it was eating and came out every time I added nori in the tank. 2 weeks later he seems to be the happiest fish in the tank.

14. craig redfern

craig redfern Thread Starter

i was so concerned about the regal i took it back to the pet shop(Northland pets) and the guys there swapped it out for me with no hesitation thank you Chris, the new guy or gal seems to be alot more lively but still finds these little cracks and caves in the rocks and just stayes there, i have added nori(normal type you buy from the supermarket) to their diet but the lipstick and yellow tang smash the peice up before any other fish can have a go. i have the the omega one pellets with garlic which i mix with the brine shrimp and give that to them what other garlic or vitimin C can i use?

Recent Posts