Regal Tang ?

joe

Reaction score
hey guys and gals, wanna really get a regal tang but just wanna know if theyre as bad as powder blues when it comes to white spot ?

Hi Joe - my experience with Regal's are not so good, unfortunately - I bought 2 in the past - one died of white-spot (even though I tried everything to help the poor fish to survive), and the other one was tiny tiny tiny - and it landed in my h.magnifica's tentacles (lunch or dinner for my anemone ;-)

I know that other people have much more success with Regal Tangs...

Perhaps wait for some more input before you make your decision.

Thanx jauques thats exactly wot im looking for , personal experience .

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=1960

Ok this is my experience of regals and white spot, i should point out that i have no real scientific grounding in this, it is just what happened to me (well, my fish anyway) all i have to go on is hear say.(but the hear say of some very clever folk)
Ok thats the disclaimer out of the way, as long as your tang has enough room (i would say minimum 120mm but bigger would be better, you regal can reach 150mm+) and enough hiding places or bolt holes and not too many other aggresive tang house mates you will be fine, having said all that very negative stuff, i've seen loads of happy regals, and i wouldn't hesitate to get another.

I fully agree that these tangs seem to be far less stressed in larger aquariums, personally i have not had any negative results with the regal except they grow rather large and have had the odd one chowing my corals. As to them being more or less resistant to white spot than a powder blue, ireally dont know but again the PB is another tang that seems to settle better in the larger systems.

Alan ive got a 1.2 *450*550 , in your opinion would this be fine ?

I would say that your tank is a minimum, regals grow very quickly and before you know it you will have a large fish in a barely adequate tank, but you should be ok for a while, a yellow tang would be more successful, as long as you get one much smaller than the sailfin - they are both zebrasoma so two equal sized fish may start a little fight

No wee-man not at all, im just very paranoid when it comes to adding new fish ...
but i think im gonna have a look around and i will see if i can find a very healthy specimen!

No wee-man not at all, im just very paranoid when it comes to adding new fish ...
but i think im gonna have a look around and i will see if i can find a very healthy specimen!

I think it's a good idea to be worried about adding fish, take your time, do your research and you will avoid many disasters;)

ive got one,when i introdued it to my system it broke out terribly with white spots to such a point that i thought i was gonna loose it.started eating bananas and nori and healed pretty well.now its the fattest of all my tangs/surgeons

Hey Mekaeel , did ur other fish also get infected or was it just the regal?

before putting this guy in i had a powder blue and powder brown,they both died.almost every surgeon/tang i put in gets a break out with whitespots but then they heal pretty well (thats after the powder blue and brown)
ok so let me sing a new tune ... NO REGAL FOR ME THANX !!!!!!:6:

Back
Top Bottom