Urgent help needed Regal Tang

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Devank, 24 May 2010.

1. Devank

Devank

Hi All, I bought a regal tang about 1 month ago and it had white spots. After 2 days the white spots were gone and the fish was eating well and there was nothing noticeably wrong. I did find it strange that it was sleeping on its side in between rocks but after visiting some pets stores and reading up I figured this was normal. A week ago the fish died and its the first loss I've had in 4 years. :(

Possible suspects are:

1. Anemone
    2. black hermit crab
    3. white spots

I want to buy another Regal tang. I went to a LPS and booked 1 regal tang, it had white spots but I've asked the owner to hold onto it till the spots clear. All water parameters were fine in my tnk.

How can I safely treat the white spots if I have invertebrates and live rock & should I get rid of the anemone as well? If the fish sleeps on its side wont the bristol worms or hermits attack it?

Last edited: 24 May 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacoc

jacoc

Hi Devank

I bought my tang 2,5 weeks ago and he also found a place where he rests at night in the same manner...Also white spot and black spot apeared...aparently they need good veriety of neutrition...
    I started feeding KENT Platinum Sinking pellets soaked in a garlic and vitemin C mixture 3 days ago and it seems to be doing ok...both my yellow tang and regal are picking up weight and thats proof that their immune system is being aided threw this garlic mixture...
    I had my hands in the tank a few times this last week and that stresed the fish alot...The Regal also gets white spot and within a day it's gone ...
    Aparently Tangs and Surgeon;s can stress for any and no reason even power outages...This is my experiance so far but I'm sure one of the Guru's On this site will be able to give reason that make sence on why your fish died...then maybe I can also learn and maybe save mine...
    I've been doing this for 12 jr's, I don't think fish will alow bristol's or crabs to get to them especialy if the fish is strong and alive...
    It will be interisting to see what others have to say...

jaco

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

From what I can figure out from your other posts are that your tank is only about 8 weeks old. And the Regal is (was) in for 4 weeks. And Regals and whitespot is a problem, well less than a powder blue, but yes they do tend to get whitespot easily.

If it was healhty, then hermits, bristleworms etc will not be the culprit.

Anemone? what are you doing with an Anemone in a 8 week old tank. Please reconsider. Else it is the next thing you need urgent help with. Anemones are for tanks 8 Months and older. Various reasons, but important by then you had learned how to keep the water parameters stable.

Sorry, I do not want to sound harsh, but it is less harsh than what the anemone is going through.

In my opinion, the Regal died because of a second round of whitespot in your tank, and this time his immune system could not handle it.

Just for info, for some reason, whitespot cycle can repeat itself in a tank for about 10 times, thereafter it disappear. Unless you put another fish with whitespot into the tank.

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Devan - as RiaanP was saying - I think that your tank is a wee bit immature for fish like regal tangs. Due to the instability of the water parameters, in a tank that was just 4 weeks old (when you added the regal tang), the tang did indeed stress a lot.

Can you also please elaborate on the size of your tank? And what filtration system you have? Do you have a sump? Skimmer (if you have a skimmer - what size/brand is it?)

Following Jaco's routine is definitely a huge plus. Tangs definitely seems to benefit from garlic (even though this is not a natural food for them - but, that said - keeping them in a small glass box is also not natural for them either).....

Tangs should only be kept tanks with a minimum size of 300 liters/1.2 meters, nothing smaller. As any smaller, and the tangs would stress out completely. And stress makes tangs susceptible to white-spot.

If a tang has/gets whitespot - IF the tang is not healthy and strong to start with, the chances increase about a 100% that the tang/s would die.....

6. Devank

Devank Thread Starter

the 200 litre tank has been running for more than 4 years by the previous owner. My JHB tank was a second hand tank which was running at the time when I bought it, I simply moved it to my apartment about 2 months ago. I had one nitrate spike after the 1st week but I have been testing the water weekly and doing fortnighly water changes everything seems fine. I was very careful during the move. I used the same water and kept the live rock in water. Please comment on this.

it has a 80cm by 40 cm sump with a reeftec skimmer. 40kg live rock and I do regular water changes every 2 weeks.I hear what you guys are saying, anything less than 300 litres is a problem. OK so no regal tang till i get a bigger tank.

How can I save the anenome?

I have a 2m marine setup in dbn for past 7 years maybe I can move it there. I'v never kept regals :( my inexperience.

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

WOW! 2 meter tank in Durbs! What lighting do you have over the tank, Devan?

In which tank is the nemmie, Devan?

What type of anemone is this? And do you perhaps have pics?

8. Devank

Devank Thread Starter

Thanks for your input guys

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

So technically the tank is 4 years old, only at your place for 2 months.

And you should after 7 years know about water parameters :)

So, unless the anemone is not looking well, I think it should make it. It could not be happy after the move, but by now it should have settled. If any issues, please post a pic of it in a new thread so that the real Anemone experts can help you out. Anemones are not really my game, tried it once and failled.

10. Devank

Devank Thread Starter

I started this tank when I was in campus. It has 2 t5 ballasts and 2 metal halide lamps. Its my pride and joy, pity i couldnt transport it up to jhb when I moved here. Still at my parents place. The nennie is in my 200 litre tank.

11. Devank

Devank Thread Starter

I bought the nennie from exotic pets in boksburg a month ago (didnt come with the tank), i'm a bit worried because I bought it white and everyone I spoke to said white nennies are due to the lack of sunlight while being transported. Ive been feeding it pieces of shrimp once everyyday and he is under a halide lamps for 12 hours. hoping for the best. Will try and post a photo soon

Recent Posts