Urgent help needed Regal Tang with white marks

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Fishcrazy, 20 Jan 2015.

1. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy

Hi,
    I saw some white marks on my Regal Tang last night. I'm not sure what it is. Doesn't look like white round spots. Could it be Ich?

None of the other fish have shown any signs of Ich, scratching, loss of appetite, or acting sick. He is eating well on Nori, frozen food or garlic flake food. He is fat and eating well and showing no signs of feeling sick, he is also not scratching against LR. I bought the Tang about a month ago.

I do not have a quarantine tank so I must medicate in the DT. Anything specific I can use. I don't think KanaPlex is the correct medication to use.

150119 Regal Tang spots.jpg

150119 Regal Tang white spots.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    Fishcrazy likes this.
  4. Dexter

Dexter

You dont have a urchin by any chance? My regal use to get similar marks buts thats when he swam into the long spine urchine.

5. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy Thread Starter

@Dexter Nope no urchin. Just a Cleaner and Camel shrimp, Clowns, Blennie, Chromis, Starfish and some Hermit crabs.

6. zippy

zippy

how long has he been in your tank?

7. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy Thread Starter

@zippy I got him a month ago.

8. zippy

zippy

so there is a strong possibility he came with the sickness disease illness?

9. Keegan1

Keegan1

Mine had the same spots....also bought mine about a month and a half ago but faded away in quarantine. No idea what it was

10. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy Thread Starter

@zippy & @Keegan1 : I do have KanaPlex, it treats fungal and bacterial diseases. So depending what this is, it might work.... I will check tonight again and give feedback later.

I really hope it is not anything serious. It just came suddenly over night. There were no marking or spot Sunday evening.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

where does it sleeps?

Seems like he swam to far into a crevice and got himself caught.

12. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy Thread Starter

@RiaanP it sleeps in a crevice, so it could be that. So then it should go away?

13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I don't think that it is lymphocystis Dallas. Normally Lymphocystis affects the fins. It also takes the form of nodules.

This looks more like a Flagellated parasite that is under the fishes scales and penetrated the flesh. The parasite could have caused cysts to form and there could be mucus build up. One should look closely for loss of scales.

I would recommend a FWB and see what falls of the fish, if anything. If nothing falls off the fish then it could be a Lernaeacus specie. Best to take swift action whilst the fish is still strong IMO.

14. Keegan1

Keegan1

I looked at my tang now and he has one spot back... looking at what @RiaanP said and makes sence because my tang squeezes himself between the overflow and the bracing on top.

The white mark is on the side that the "teeth" of the oveflow is.
    [​IMG]
    U can see the mark lightly
    [​IMG]

15. Keegan1

Keegan1

S/he sleeps the same way everynight

16. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Personally, injuries would come out with some red markings as the scales and skin become damaged. It could be a parasite. What is is breathing rate, it must not be more than 60 to 120 breaths per minute (depending on what the fish has been doing), if a fish has been chased they will have faster gill rates.

Personally, without examining the fish first hand, and looking at the pictures, I would say it is a parasite, those sights look very specific for it to be a injury.
    I hope you come right. Glad he is still eating.
    Usually a sign of some flat worm infestation. Repeated fresh water RO dips at the correct pH will help. Keep us posted with more pics and symptoms.
    Here is some extra info for you:
    Neobenedenia melleni (eye flukes)

These are relatively large (up to 8 mm), egg-laying worms that live on the skin or eyes.

Symptoms

Neobenedenia infections peak slowly, there may be no symptoms for weeks after you acquire a fish. Eventually, as the flukes multiply and grow in size, they begin to cause symptoms of the disease.

The first obvious symptom may be slightly cloudy eyes, caused by the transparent fluke feeding on the eye tissue and eliciting a tissue reaction. This gives this worm the common name of “eye fluke,” although it is unknown whether these worms actually prefer to feed on eye tissue, or whether that is just where they first become apparent.

As the infection becomes more serious, the fish will “flash” (scrape against objects in the tank), and their skin colour will become dull, their fins may become tattered, and they just generally get a “scruffy” look to them. Rapid breathing due to stress, possible secondary infection, and then death will follow if treatment is not begun.
    Diagnosis

The best means of diagnosis is to give the fish a five-minute freshwater dip. Not only does this knock back the infection by killing the adult parasites, but even a casual look at the bottom of the dip container afterwards will help to positively identify this disease. The worms turn an opaque, “whitish” colour and fall to the bottom.

Angelfishes and butterflyfishes are especially prone to Neobenedenia infections, so any of these fish that have been housed at an import facility that does not prophylactically treat for trematodes stand an increased chance of being infected.

Treatment

Many suggest using a freshwater dip as a treatment for all incoming fish. The two drawbacks to this is the dips are not 100% effective they do not harm fluke eggs.

Chemical Treatments

 Whole-tank formalin baths at 166 ppm will eliminate the adult flukes from an aquarium but not the eggs. Because this type of treatment has no residual effect, the treatment may need to be repeated every two weeks for two or three more times.

 A better alternative is a praziquantel treatment at 4 ppm, followed by a 50% water change after 48 hours, then a second treatment 12 to 14 days later, followed by another 50% water change 48 hours later.

Many home aquarists buy cleaner wrasses, neon gobies, or cleaner shrimp in the hope that these animals will clear their fish of parasites. This is simply never effective for bacterial or protozoan infections. However, with some large parasites, notably copepods and Neobenedenia, only partial control may be seen.

Reaper and Nemos Janitor like this.
  17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

if it is just marks due to it hurting itself, it would be very close to the surface and heal within 2 to 3 days.

Else, if it persist, more likely Carlos is right.

See if ou can get a better clearer close up picture.

carlosdeandrade likes this.
  18. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy Thread Starter

@Keegan1 If the marks was only on it's side then it would make sense to me, but there is to marks on front of head too. Will post better pics now.

19. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy Thread Starter

@RiaanP & @carlosdeandrade : There is still the same amount of markings. It looks like the skin has been scraped, nothing protruding out of it and also no mucus or swollen sections. Nothing that looks like cotton wool or nodules. There is also small marks on the fins and the head.

The Tang is very active and eating as per normal, catching it will be a major problem, because it swims very fast. Breathing seems to be normal, excepts for the markings he seems happy. Any medication suggestion?

Tang 6 marks on side and 1 on caudal fin .jpg

Tang markings on head.jpg

Tang other angle.jpg

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

the fish is small, judging by the nori clamp. Whitespot at the biggest is about quarter of a millimeter.
    Doubt if whitespot.

But you are feeding way too much nori. Can tear that sheet into quarters.

21. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy Thread Starter

@RiaanP I didn't know that... The Tang, Blennie and Clowns eat that piece of Nori within 15 minutes. The LFS told me about 6x6cm up to twice a day.

Yes it looks like Whitespot, but I agree the spots are to big. The biggest spot is about 2 milimeter.

Recent Posts