Urgent help needed Regal tang vs Acan

Papitto

Chromis
Reaction score
Hi MASA,

I have to acan colonies. On green and another red/blue/pink. They ha always inflated very well.
I noticed that the red colony began shrinking in last week. I assumed it flow or too too light from orphek leds. So moved it around a bit, still in change. Just before the shrinking, It was expeling brown stringy waste.

Tonight, I was watching my regal tang an it suddenly swooped down an began nipping at th acan! OMG I almost had a heart attack!!! I hav since dipped it in Seachem reef dip and place it in the corner of m tank, out of the view of the tang.
I will load a pic of it tomorrow.
Is this normal? Should I sell my regal tang?

r0ckf1re

Regal Tang
Reaction score
Size of regal? I'll be interested, pending size, price and your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

Afsal

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
It is possible that the regal was eating the waste that the acan excreted

NJH

Wrasse
Reaction score
Unfortunately it can and does happen. What are you feeding the Regal? Is he getting enough greens like norri? Unfortunately once a fish gets a taste for a certain coral they seldom change their behavour.

r0ckf1re

Regal Tang
Reaction score
Will he eat any coral or just acan

Last edited by a moderator:

NJH

Wrasse
Reaction score
Difficult to say. LPS corals are.more at risk, although I have heard of Regal Tangs nipping at SPS. I would try feeding nori on a daily basis to see if it helps. No guarantee though.

CheriS

Chromis
Reaction score
Been there, 2 very healthy ones that get very well balanced foods. Ate star polyps and zoas. @barry his brain coral if I remember correctly

CameL

Clownfish
Reaction score
If you are considering only two tangs for a tank, what would be a better choice than a regal then? was thinking yellow and regal

dallasg

Reaction score
most fish are opportunistic eaters, no animal wants to starve to death, so they will eat to stay alive.

having said that, our definition of reef safe fish is skewed, we need to use coral safe and invert safe, instead of lumping into one.
eg Clown Surgeons will eat corals, but Tangs are "Reef safe".

another example is the red sea cleaner wrasse, it will eat sps corals as it matures, this is what makes the ocean so wonderful :)

Afsal

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
I had a regal (only started when it got much bigger) that nipped badly @ a clam. had to let the regal go eventually

Papitto

Chromis
Reaction score
Unfortunately it can and does happen. What are you feeding the Regal? Is he getting enough greens like norri? Unfortunately once a fish gets a taste for a certain coral they seldom change their behavour.
I feed him Hikari seaweed xtreme, omega 1 pellets with spirulina, Seachem flakes with chorella, nori sheets. Feed fish 1 time time day.
I will have to evict Dori now sadly enough.