Urgent help needed Regal tang doing somersaults

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by dv8, 10 Jul 2010.

1. dv8

dv8

It looks like my Regal Tang has gone completely mad. She appeared to be stuck between two rocks but after moving the rock she remained where she was. I gently moved her and she wennt crazy! Therapy is not going to help. Any suggestions?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lIghty

lIghty

Are water parameters in check? how are the other fish?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

all other fish are o k, i think(must check )my parametres are o k.

5. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

she swims like the fish in your cats stomach ighty. don't have the heart to flush her till she is dead though

6. flappy

flappy

I cant comment as I have not seen the fish but in general it is perfectly normal behaviour for a regal to wedge between two rocks and stay there.

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Regal's like to sleep between rocks or on their sides underneath rocks, often scaring the owner into thinking something is wrong, but very normal behaviour, the swimming however doesn't sound good, is she doing it occasionally or all the time? How long has she been doing this?

8. chikaboo

chikaboo

Sounds like colic (dont laugh) could be air caught in stomach .... I seen this a few times especially if the fish feeds of surface food getting food and air simultaneously taken in ..... Fortunately there is a cure but only to be attempted by by someone who knows what they doing .... Please dont attempt this if you've just started and a newbie as this really needs alot experience and you can end up killing the fish if not done properly .... On the other hand if done properly will sort everything out ... It basically involves using a syringe and inserting the needle into the stomach and sucking the air out but I'll warn one and all again .... YOU HAVE TO KNOW YOUR FISH WELL .... EACH SPECIES IS DIFFERENT ... PLEASE PLEASE DONT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCE!

Last edited: 10 Jul 2010
  9. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

no, i have had the regal for a very long time, she has grown in my tank for a few years actualy, hiding in small spaces is normal, but the swiming is like a spinning top with no direction until she gets "stuck"(i think i't the only way she can keep from spining) i have definately not done the needle thing befor, would you perhaps be talking about the swim bladder? can the fish be left alone to recover on her own? is there anyone in PE who could do it for me ?

10. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

oh w8, the swim bladder thing is for taking fish from deep water to the surface without decompresion. my bad

11. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

bumb .lights not on yet, so don't know if she made it through the night

12. Anemone

Anemone

How long has the fish been doing this?

13. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

i first noticed it yesterday afternoon, it is still alive, no white spot, but looks stressed, shalow breathing and not moving, wedged(not stuck) between the glass and a flat rock.

14. Anemone

Anemone

Any new additions or changes made to the setup?

15. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

nothing resently, a few wks back a few zoas had been added. she is the biggest fish in the tank, been in there for at least four years. and all the other fish are fine

16. H0nda42

H0nda42

Hi DV8, I think I have seen this before....the fish is not actually swimmingin somersaults but basically floats over and upside down in a circle. From my experience the fish is on it's way out. This has happened with me before, the fish' body becomes stiff and he wedges himself in between rocks to prevent the upside down floating. Am not sure what causes this, but unfortunately its going to dies - with nothing much you can do. I am sorry to hear this though.

17. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

i had suspectid as mutch, i where to make a guess i would say she had a stoke, perhaps half her body is paralised? but it is as you discribe, body is stiff to the one side and arched. i don't have the heart to end her though.

18. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hi there, Try asking Steve ( Bayworld )
    Ive done the neadle thing to a freshwater parotfish( i wont be trying that again.)
    But if the fish was spinning iraticly ( in fast movements, it could be nitrite poisening which gives the same symptoms as brain damage, but the normaly breath rapidly as well )

Did you do a clean or large waterchange about 2 weeks back, or power failers ?

Did you get salt water for a change from the sea and store it for a few days before using it ?
    if yes to either, could be nitrite poisening, and he could be the one to feel the symptoms, they dont all react the same.

could aslso be a internal bacteria, Sera has a product called Bactapour R139.00 that you mix with food , but i must just check if that one was for marine as well, cant remember now.
    or
    Seachem has a anti internal bacterial cure , but will have to let you know what it is called and how much , if hes still hanging in there ?

19. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi dv8 - did your regal tang die then? Or is it still hanging on?

20. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

:001_unsure: she's gone, went for a ride on the porseline express. in a way i'm glad, couldn't watch her like that for too mutch longer. i don't think there was any air at play else she would have floated? i think. was probably a stroke or something. but thanks for trying to help guy's. guess i'll have to "adopt" another one sometime

21. colbar

colbar

So sorry for your loss. It's rather painful watching something like that and she hung in for quite a few days.

Recent Posts