Urgent help needed Regal Has an Infection?

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by gMAN, 10 Oct 2010.

1. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

evening all, can anyone tell me if this should be reason for concern? My regal has some sort of irritation, it's been doing really well for a long while until Friday evening I noticed she was scratching against the rocks. I introduced a CBB last Tuesday and it seems healthy and eating well. The regal is also eating well and swimming fine, I have been dosing food with VITA CHEM since Friday night, my water params seem to be in check except for a spike in NO3, I got my N&P + Carbon reactors running again on Thursday, could this be the reason for the spike in NO3(10+ using ELOS kit)?

Please help....

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Oct 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. durleo

durleo

I dont know if it is Oodinium but if it is then you must act quickly cos it can wipe out fish fast. The only way is Cuprazin in a quarantine tank. You will need to put all the fish in there. I had 7 deaths in 48 hours cos i never quarantine fish from a LFS.

4. gMAN

gMAN Thread Starter with the plan

don't have a Q tank, what are my other options?

5. durleo

durleo

It will have to be treated with cuprazine which has copper and should not be dosed in a reef tank. Find out if a LFS has a quarantine tank and let them treat it for you. The Copperband could have introduced the Oodinium (marine velvet). You should leave the display tank without fish for 21 days or a little longer to be on the safe side. You can freshwater dip them in Methylene Blue(helps provide oxygen for the fish) for 5-8mins jus make sure the P.H and water temp is correct. Your display is already infected and so needs to be fishless for 3 weeks.

6. durleo

durleo

I hope you get through without any casualties - Ask around if anyone can QT these fish for you. I learnt the hard way very early on in my reef and have a QT for any new fish. I guess it becomes good practice.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2010
  7. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

Cuprazin is very effective, because it is a combination of 3 treatment known as FMC, F for formaline, M for malachite and C for copper! I don't know if it's the real has oodinium, but if it is persisting to scatch, u should gently try to land The regal in a QT, with the treatment!

8. rakabos

rakabos

Damn Greg that sucks. Just keep a steady eye on the other fish and act quickly if they start to show signs. QT is a hassle, but i found out the hard way that you need it. See if you cant find a Buyo or similar, they make great hospital tanks, you can get them for fairly cheap on the forum/junkmail

Last edited: 11 Oct 2010
  9. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

aye boss. i hope it pulls through crossing fingers its not velvet.

10. gMAN

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated, this morning she seemed to be doing better, couldn't get a picture but her skin didn't look "bumpy" like in pic 1 but I'm not taking any chances, gonna speak to the guys at IM if they can help me with treating the lot.... will update later...

11. rakabos

rakabos

GMAN also try boosting immunity with food additives if you not doing so already

12. gMAN

Thanks Martin, have been adding VITA CHEM since friday, really hoping it's not velvet, been reading up on it and it's not pretty!! Does anyone know if it is velvet how long it will take to infect the other fish? all other fish are showing no signs at all? the regal is still eating as much as she always has. can somebody explain how to setup a Q tank? does it have to have overflow + sump or can it just be tank with circulation pump were I do water changes every day/ 2 days?

13. durleo

durleo

Your Qt Tank must be simple - no live rock cos it will absorb the copper. Use plastic pvc fittings for the fish to hide. Keep temp stabile with a heater. I take bio balls that i keep in my sump that will introduce bacteria to the QT tank - some guys use a sponge that has been in the sump aswell.- jus dont put it back in the sump when you are done cos it will have copper and other chemicals in it. Feed flakes and pellets so you dont foul the water too much. Im sure water changes every 2nd day will be fine.

14. gMAN

Thanks durleo...

15. gMAN

Arw there any in tank treatments thats available in the event i cannot get a Q tank up or net the fish?

16. rakabos

rakabos

gMAN

I had white spot and treated the tank with non-copper meds. To be honest it didnt really work. Keep at it with the vitamin boosts, it cured the Regal with white spot in my case

17. gMAN

Thanks Martin...

18. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

There is a product on the market called "Heal All".
    Does not harm corals or inverts.
    2 people that I know have used it, both report success with their WS treatments.

19. durleo

durleo

You must remember that white spot is not deadly if the fish is still eating but Oodinium (marine velvet ) is a different beast and cannot be cured with meds in a reef inviroment.

20. Achilles

Achilles

That doesnt appear to be oodinium to me it looks more likely to be fungal in nature but it could also be brooknyella( is it breathing very fast?), if you can feed the regal antibiotic(like oxytetracycline/kanamycin-50-100mg in a tablespoon quantity of food which you mix up and feed twice a day) soaked food(pellets /nori) for 5 days , he should heal fast , a friends regal had a similar appearance on his slime coat we fed antibiotic food and in 2 days it was gone- The fish doesnt have to get all the food in if he gets a couple of soaked up pellets/nori that is fine refrigerate the rest for the second feed of the day, do it for 5 days do not just dump this food in the tank it couldl be bad for your biological filter9depending on volume) if it is not eaten by the fish so add it slowly to the tank making sure it gets eaten

Last edited: 11 Oct 2010
  21. durleo

durleo

Where would you get this "oxytetracycline/kanamycin-50-100mg " im assuming a pharmacy? It would be nice to keep it on hand for emergency!

Recent Posts