Refugium / Sump

Hi, I'm interested to know what method of siliconing you use when you build a tank - do you use spacers and inject the silicone, or do you just apply the silicone to the bottom pane and then put the side panels on top of it?

I am no expert in this, there are members around here much more qualified to help, but this is the method i have used the few times I build DIY tanks:

I usually place some support glass on the bottom, long flat strips running parralel to the glass, leaving a step on the edge of the bottom pane. While all is still wet I place the panels onto the step, which has silicone on it. Use clamps or jigs to keep the side panels in place while it sets, i then silcone the side panels together, one edge at a time, allowing sufficient time for the silicone to set inbetween. You can also use support strips in the corners if you like, makes life easier and is overall strionger, but not as pretty.

So what happened to the sump @JackSplat. Can we have some pics. Refuge working?

Last edited by a moderator:
So what happened to the sump @JackSplat. Can we have some pics. Refuge working?

@carlosdeandrade, it's working great thanks. Took some pics this morning, excuse the quality, was with my cellphone :blush:

Been running now for about 6 months. I have a DSB in the middle with refugium on top. There are some makro algae, unkown in front and cheato in the back. I have two 6400K LED lights for the algae and they are growing like mad. Also have a pod colony going, still growing. I add some rotifers and zooplankton every second day, seems to do the job.

2014-05-15065905_zps2d20c0fc.jpg

The inlet from the tank. Goes through a filter sock. This compartment has the skimmer, some biocubes and heater.

2014-05-15065926_zpsede9ca45.jpg

It exits through some bio balls into the refugium.

2014-05-15070008_zps67eb3899.jpg

From the refugium it goes to the return compartment with the level switches, the return pump and the dosing pump's outlets.

2014-05-15070100_zps608a4e9a.jpg

2014-05-15070029_zpscbc90ff1.jpg

There are more pics in my tank thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great!!! I am also starting my refuge when my tank gets back in the next week or so. Have tons of grape caulerpa. Bought some hydroponic LEDS. Would be keen to swap some chaeto for some grape caulerpa? Do you keep your refuge lights on 24 hours a day?

Looks great!!! I am also starting my refuge when my tank gets back in the next week or so. Have tons of grape caulerpa. Bought some hydroponic LEDS. Would be keen to swap some chaeto for some grape caulerpa? Do you keep your refuge lights on 24 hours a day?

Thank you! Yes, we can swap some, would not mind having some grape caulerpa! Just have to wait a week or so, I culled the cheato back on Tuesday, but at the rate it grows it doubles in volume every week or so. I keep the light on the same cycle as the main tank, sunrise to sunset locally. Been following your tank thread, looking forward to see it up and running again!

Back
Top Bottom