Refugium plans

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi guys, here is the proposed plan for my 2nd refugium to add to my +- 200l Nano. It will give me about 104litres(sand bed excluded) extra. The question is where do you suggest I make the hole for the inlet and overflow?
The problem is I can't put partitions upright on the bottom cause I'll loose space for my DSB. I was thinking of putting horizontal "shelves" in for some live rock so that the rock don't sit on the sand. I can't change the sizes because of space restriction. It is either this size or sell the couch...

th_DSC00257.gif

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Plans a little small to see what you have in mind, A little bigger and I will do a scketchup for you

Is this upstream?

Tridan

Wrasse
Reaction score
Lol sell the couch, nah looks cool one sugestion if u put shelves in use egg crate, will help with water circulation, glass will restrict natural flow.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Plans a little small to see what you have in mind, A little bigger and I will do a scketchup for you

Is this upstream?
Picture bigger - thanks Viper.
I was thinking of making the inlet at the bottom somewhere(100mm above DSB) but if the power trips(damn councels) al that precious marine juice will end up in and over my sump cleaning my wife's floor!:nono:

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Run it over the top like a normal tank, with the outflow on the opposite side.

Reef Maniac

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
Probably 8mm - little stronger in case live rock slips out of hand...
8mm glass will only give you a safety factor of 2.8, which is a little short of the recommended 3.8. I would suggest that you rather go for 10mm glass.

I would further suggest that you place the refugium inlet (downpipe from the tank) below the top horisontal partition - this will prevent air bubbles from causing salt creep above the inlet. I would also place one or two vertical baffles around the return pump to prevent bubbles from being pumped back into your tank.

Hennie

Shaun

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
8mm glass will only give you a safety factor of 2.8, which is a little short of the recommended 3.8. I would suggest that you rather go for 10mm glass.
Are you saying 10mm because it will be 720mm Deep. I see the "STD" 2 foot 600mm tanks you can buy at LFS use only 4mm but they are only 300mm Deep.

Tridan

Wrasse
Reaction score

I would further suggest that you place the refugium inlet (downpipe from the tank) below the top horisontal partition - this will prevent air bubbles from causing salt creep above the inlet. I would also place one or two vertical baffles around the return pump to prevent bubbles from being pumped back into your tank.

Hennie

Hennie do you have a formula you are willing to share to work out the factor?

Thanks

Reef Maniac

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
Are you saying 10mm because it will be 720mm Deep.
Yup - the pressure on the glass is mainly a factor of the height of the water in the tank, and one should always look at the worst-case scenario, IMHO, so I'm assuming that your tank will be nearly full to the brim.

Hennie do you have a formula you are willing to share to work out the factor?
Yes, it's another Excel spreadsheet. I will gladly share it, if one of the Mods will place it under the "calculators".

Hennie

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Hennie, you can PM it to me if you wish, thanks.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Holy s#$/%*t! Does the price of glass go up every time the petrol goes up?? My old 3 foot custom tank's bottom cracked and got a quote today. 910 x 650 - 6mm glass - R192; if I want 8mm - R600!!!! I'm sure I didn't ask for armor plate....

cybervic

Damsel
Reaction score
Tobie, I'd recommend to go with a 10mm bottom :p 8mm is not a standard size (I think) So 10mm might well be cheaper

Reef Maniac

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
Yes, it's another Excel spreadsheet. I will gladly share it, if one of the Mods will place it under the "calculators".
OK, as promised, you can upload the calculator from this link: Glass Thickness Calculator.

This calculator is based on the data found in this excellent article by Warren Stillwell.

Mods, feel free to upload the calculator to the calculator page :)

Hennie

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Wow Henni Thanks Very Very Handy:thumbup::thumbup: