Refugium...ideas!?

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by danielcassar, 1 Nov 2011.

1. danielcassar

danielcassar

Hi all, I wish to have some opinions regards refugium set-up
    also my skimmer works in 8 inc water level....is it a good setup refugium to have only 20cm of water level?

Thanks
    daniel

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

well if you want you could make your sump deeper and then raise your skimmer with an egg crate rack so the skimmer will be 8" deep and the refuge will be deeper

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Some guys use the space above the DSB for a refugium. And normally that is about 15cm.

so your 20cm is good enough.

What I found is cheato ball needs a little bit more depth than 15cm. So my latest sump, the water level above my DSB is 25cm. Then it grows nicely up to about a soccer ball. You just need to turn the cheato over every couple of days.

Currently I have a remote DSB extra, a 4foot tank. And the water level there is also another 25cm above the sand. Sand is 15cm deep. And there I do use the space for my refugium. Works nicely.

5. danielcassar

danielcassar Thread Starter

Hi Tremayn and RiaanP thanks for your reply.
    this morning i did some alterations regards to the first setup, i was thinking that i will shift the media at the first stage...since more flow pass into them......i also increased the depth of the water level....by placing the skimmer on an egg crate( thanks to the suggestion made by Tremayn) (since my skimmer works well on only 20cm water level)...so now the refugium has 35cm of water..instead of only 20cm.
    regards to the egg crate....i think there will be detritus between the egg crate and the bottom of the sump..or im wrong!?

picture included. please feel free to criticise...i need to learn Im new in this hobby.
    Thanks Daniel

Attached Files:

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yes, stuff will settle under the skimmer. Just blow it up once a in a while with small powerhead.

I see you got your charcoal and phosphate removal stage before the skimmer. There it will block up very quickly. You would get more out of your sump if you move your biological part of the filtration to after the biological.

Setup should be mechanical (skimmer) , biological (DSB / refugium / ATS ) and then chemical.

7. danielcassar

danielcassar Thread Starter

so...i managed to do my first DIY tank.....silicone was left to cure for more than 48 hours and after the tank was filled to the rim (100 litres used) and left for 24 hours to make sure there are no leaks!....passed from the test!!

now attached you find a picture with lines and dimensions, and i wish some opinions in regards to the dimensions and the postion of the baffles before i will silicone them!

Thanks
    Daniel

Attached Files:

Recent Posts